Amazon behavior questions

JennyHavoc

Oct 6, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Parrots
Blue-fronted Amazon, Congo African Grey, peach-faced lovebird
Hi all!

I'm hoping to get some advice on how to interpret/handle some behavioral issues. My boyfriend has a blue-fronted Amazon named Maxine, and a lovebird named Sunnybird. I'm planning to move in with him, and wanted to keep this as stress-free as possible on Maxine, and address some of her other issues as well. I apologize if this gets long, but I suppose the more info the better.

First of all, we are pretty sure she comes from an unstable past. He has had her for 2.5 years. He got her from a privately-owned zoo he worked at, where she was kept in an aviary with 30 other birds, and dive-bombed/attacked every keeper that came in there. The zoo had her for a few years and I believe had gotten her from a private owner who apparently had only had her a couple years as well. Nobody knows how old she is or her history beyond that.

It took him all of 2 years to get her to stop biting (now she just flips her head up and warns him with her beak open), and to step up, which only happens half the time he asks her to.
Then I showed up. For the first 2 months, she hated me - if he left me alone to leave in the morning, she'd wait for me to walk down the hall and lunge at me full-force, would hunch down on her perch and prepare for flight at me, etc. I ended up giving her a piece of pizza crust one night, and from there on, she was reasonably friendly.
Now after 4 months, she has bonded with me it seems - she gets obnoxious if I don't say hi to her when I come in, will let me scratch her and work on her pinfeathers, and when placed on the floor between us, she will look from me to him to me, and then run over and climb up onto my leg. I am wondering if this doesn't mean she simply prefers women for some reason, since it took me only 4 months and him 2 years.

Now, the issues:
1) She is still a bit "bipolar" - some days she will still lunge at me and make it hard to walk past the cage without getting bitten, then be adorable and sweet the next day. Is this normal Amazon behavior and what can I do about it, if anything? She definitely does not exhibit this with him - it's a steady "I don't *like* you but I'll be tolerable". She swings from the extremes for me.

2) She hates, hates, hates the lovebird. He was another rescue case and it had been suggested to boyfriend that she might bond with Sunnybird. Nope; she lunges at him, especially if he starts screeching, while he is in love with her and follows her everywhere. Would moving Sunnybird's cage away from hers or getting him a lovebird mate help the overall situation?

3) I have a cat. The cat has never been around birds. The birds have never been around cats. We can either try to acclimate them to each other, or put the birds in their own bedroom. Maxine's cage is in the living room and she is used to being around during dinner, TV watching, computer-ing, etc. I'm afraid it would upset her to be relegated to one little room with limited interaction, but I don't want to have her or my cat be injured. The cat is an indoor cat, and usually more afraid of things than confrontational. Does anyone have suggestions on this situation?

4) Also, I'm much more social than boyfriend; I tend to have friends and family over often, while he NEVER does, so Maxine is not used to people coming and going. Do I need to limit the influx of new people coming over for a while or anything?

Currently, I do make a point to greet her when I walk in, and offer her a scratch as well. She shares my (healthy) food, often straight from a plate on the table, and we bring her down to sit on the couch a lot. I always say goodbye to her, too. I'm not sure if there's any other behavior I can make routine for her to help with all this.

Thanks everyone for reading and any advice! I've grown pretty attached to Maxine and would like to make her as happy as possible; she's much more enjoyable then! :green:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Believe it or not, but Maxine sounds like a joy the way you describe her. She's lived in different environments, has probably seen and heard it all, and she STILL bonded with your boyfriend and then you in a relatively short time period. Hats off to your BF for being so patient with Maxine. It may have taken 2 years, but for some people it never happens, believe it or not. So it's quite possible that she was fonder of women to begin with, and therefore she took to you so much quicker.

1. Bipolar Amazon? LMAO. Nah, she's just being an Amazon - MOODY at times ;) I think you should continue doing what you have been doing, afterall, she took to you in no time at all.

2. You could try moving Sunnybird away from Maxine, and see if that helps the situation some. Sounds like Maxine is just REALLY jealous of Sunnybird and wants ALL the attention to herself. I don't know if I would necessarily recommend a second lovebird at this time, because you know how "loud" one can be, now multiply that. :eek:

3. Please don't confine the birds into the bedroom where they will no longer be part of the flock and all the activities once you and kitty move in. They will surely feel punished and neglected. Why not wait and see how it goes between kitty and birdies? Of course do not let your cat anywhere NEAR them, especially Maxine, since she can surely do some damage in no time. I'll keep my fingers crossed that kitty and birds admire each other from a safe distance. ;)

4. No need to limit your social life. The more the merrier. It may take some time for Maxine to get used to more human activity, but I believe that she will benefit from it in the long run. Just make sure to tell your friends to keep tender flesh out of Maxine's reach. You will soon know which friends Maxine will allow to come close enough to possibly accept some treats (pizza crust anyone???)

Best of luck with Sunnybird and Maxine. It really sounds like you're off to a great start. :D

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Welcome to the forum:)

I cant really add anymore as JerseyWendy has given you some great advice :)

We would love to see pics.

OP
JennyHavoc

JennyHavoc

Oct 6, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Parrots
Thanks guys :)

I have had an African Grey since I was about 10, kept in my family's pet store, and he has a very steady personality (hates everyone except one long-term employee that he adores), so the whole mood-swing thing was new to me. Glad to know it's just Amazon behavior!

I'm not sure if it's jealousy with Sunnybird - it more seems that she is annoyed with his screeching and following her about. She could care less if we are handling him. It's him that gets very upset if we take Maxine even 5 feet away - he starts flying circles around us until we lock him up. His noise doesn't bother us, so we may go ahead and get one - plus we are kind of set on getting a blue one so we can have a "Rainybird", haha.

You're right, we really don't want to move them into a bedroom, plus they are such a "fixture" of the living room. I am planning on bringing kitty over later and only letting him out while someone is home to supervise - he does just fine being confined to a bedroom otherwise. He'll probably be absolutely terrified of Maxine anyway!

Great, I was really wondering if it would bother her. She seems very wary of new people and set in her ways. I will just have to limit the amount of activity at night - her "bedtime" is around 10:30 and I get death glares if we keep her awake.

Thank you again! I'm glad we're doing everything right :)

Here she is, after she ignored him to run over and climb up onto my leg:
IMG_0015.jpg

OP
JennyHavoc

JennyHavoc

Oct 6, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Parrots
Oh! One more thing.
One of the bird keepers yesterday told BF that her behavior of hunching down, swaying on her perch, and lifting her wings up is actually begging. I was taking it for threatening, as she does it when we are hugging/cuddling, and thought she was jealous and trying to frighten me. Does anyone know if it is indeed begging??

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Maxine is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! What a pretty girl!!!!

When she's hunching over, swaying back and forth, do her eyes pinpoint at the same time? Do her tail feather fan all out? Does she raise the feathers on her neck and head?

If the answer is no to all of the above, then yes, she could very well be begging. :) My Hunter begs the same way. Wings go out a little, there is a little quivering in the wings, and she steps left, right, left, right, hunching over a little.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
IMO it could very well be begging behavior. Could you get some video ? Sure is a good looking zon. Congrats

OP
JennyHavoc

JennyHavoc

Oct 6, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Parrots
Thank you both again :)

No to most of that, I haven't looked at her tail or eyes too closely, but her feathers all smooth down tightly. I think it is begging though, she was doing it last night when she wanted my chicken nuggets (cannibal!)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I wouldn't worry too much about the cat. I have one and he's not stupid. I'm sure yours isn't either. The big beak keeps everybody away including the cat. lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts