Are these bird safe?

slushii

Jan 21, 2023
My birthday was a few days ago and I received candles (I love them, but I stopped lighting them for my bird). My friend said she apparently lights them around her animals and it’s safe, and I was wondering if they are parrot safe as well?

Bloomfield Brand Soy Candles
- Phthalate free
- Paraben free
- Gluten free
- Cruelty free
- Vegan friendly

They are soy candles made with essential oils (rose/bergamot/lavendar/eucalyptus)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 23

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
No candle is bird safe. They all come with a risk, some have less risk than other but it's still a risk. You're still burning something an emitting fumes no matter the ingredients or what the wick is made of.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I wouldn’t risk it. I used to have so many nice candles that I lit often. When I got Ona I boxed them all up and now never use them. I do miss them sometimes but at the end of the day my bird’s safety is just more important.

You might be able to find bird safe candles out there - but not worth the risk in my opinion. Aside from the scent and respiratory issues you have the actual flame to think about too. A curious bird could easily be harmed that way.

It is hard when you receive something that is not bird safe as a gift! If you decide not to use them some ideas for you: light them outside only on a nice day if you have a porch, patio, etc. Re-gift them to a family member on a birthday, holiday, etc. Or donate.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Scented anything is a risk, more then you might realize. Thanks them very much for the present, and give them away next Christmas!

Most Reactions