Bit of a scare

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Rosco gave me a scare a bit ago. I happened to look up and saw he seemed to be struggling, hanging at the corner just inside of the shelf opening at the top of the cage. I got up and found that he somehow managed to get a toenail caught in a little hole and he could not get it out. I'm not sure how long he was stuck cause he didn't make a sound. But he was building up to a panic.

I got a hold of him to support while I tried to figure what was happening. The nail was stuck in there and the sharp edges were grabbing into the nail were preventing me from working it out. He went into more of a panic because he does not like hands and here I was holding onto him. So he bit the ever living heck out of my left hand. Mostly the finger and fleshy part of the thumb. Made the decision to let him go for a bit while I got a towel and get something that I could loop around the toe and use it to help pull the nail out.

So I got the towel and sacrificed a set of cheap earbuds by ripping off one of the wires which made a nice soft but strong loop for me to pull on. Fortunately Rosco held on in place and didn't fall or anything. I got him in the towel to protect my hand, managed to loop the wire around with one hand and got the nail out. It took about a minute to work it out but out it finally came.

He was probably trapped about 5 minutes or so. But he seems like he is doing ok. Obviously sore and has been tucking the foot for about 10 minutes now but he is using it. I just gave him an almond and he used that foot to hold while eating and little bit ago he was playing with a toy using it. Now he and Tootsie are doing some mutual preening. So I think that we are ok. Going to keep an eye on him though.

And now try to figure out how to plug up that hole. It is a U shaped notch in the corner where two main square bars come together. Sidney's cage is a different manufacturer and it has similar holes. The one that caught Rosco's toenail looks smaller than the rest. Like the bar wasn't cut right before welded together. I think that tomorrow I'm going to get a couple of stainless steel screws of different sizes from work, grind a flat on one side of the head then tap one that just fits into the hole and hope it locks in place. It was probably more of a freak incident but that corner of the door gets a lot of use by both him and Tootsie since the food and water cups are there. Don't want any more repeats of that one.

Now time to tend to my hand. The index finger looks like I got it caught in a meat grinder. :(

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
That's quite a scare! Glad you were able to take him out. You're a saint for putting up with the bites! Did he draw blood?

OP
JamesC

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
I was considering calling 911 if I could not get the nail out. Was getting a little freaked out myself. He drew blood in 5 cuts on the index finger and one on the thumb along with a few nicks. Worth it though. I'm just glad it wasn't the Senegal. For a smaller bird, his bites are much more powerful.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I had a similar incident with Skittles a short while back. He got his toe wrapped around some loose threading of a pillowcase. Skittles doesn't mind being held, especially in a towel, yet he pitched a fit when I was trying to free him. For them, they don't understand we are trying to free them. It's not their fault, it's just their natural reaction - fight or flight.

Regardless of the scare, they are always quite traumatic, not just for our fids but us as well.

People shouldn't underestimate a smaller birds bite. IMO, they bite harder but mostly because they don't have 'size' as a defense. I had budgies that could draw blood like you wouldn't believe.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
James, I'm so glad that Roscoe is safe and you were able to rescue him. Probably will be a bit sore for a few days, but I'm sure he'll be fine. Unfortunately a lot of cages these days are made so that they are a little "off" in the measurements, and can create a dangerous space such as yours.

Finger caught in a meat grinder you say? Oh gosh lol, that's bad! Rocco meant business. I hope it heals quickly ;). Interesting you say Sindney has an even worse bite than the conures, and I don't doubt you a bit, having Pois myself. People don't realize the Pois are more powerful biters than other birds of their size.

Jonathan, a little budgie drawing blood :eek:?? Wow, I've had 3 budgies, including one larger English, and none have been able to draw blood!

OP
JamesC

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots

Feathers of the past:
I am a little disappointed that the cage has that spot. Actually, that both Rosco's and Sid's cages have those little holes. I never gave them much thought until now. Makes me a little nervous cause both of them climb all over the place. You would think that when welding the cages together that they would seal all the holes. Would take a little more time and a little more material but I'd gladly pay the extra to have a safer cage after this experience.

Sidney has nailed me a few times with intent. Just about all of them have been bleeders. Rosco has bitten me in the past before we came to an "understanding" and have developed a bit of a friendship. None of his bites were that bad back then but these were adrenaline driven panic bites. He sliced me up but good. 5 cuts, a few nicks and 2 blood blisters. I'd endure it all again if he needed help, though.

I have had 4 budgies in the past. Three of them were mellow guys and I never endured a bite from any of them. The one female I had was a hormonal buzz saw when she got worked up. I had a couple of painful V shaped notches in my fingers from her that bled so I can believe it.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Ravensgryf Yep, I've had dozens of budgies over the years and while not all of them were big biters or even hard biters, I had a few that had VERY strong beaks. Peaches, my cockatiel, can't even break a powertreat, she never has had any bite to her. At her worst, it feels like a little pinch. Skittles on the other hand, when he has attacked someone and I've tried to take him away I have to grab his beak and pull cause he will dig right into them. Hence, why I cage him around others.

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
glad your buddies fine. My daughter realized that Sheldon was very quiet. She went to check on him and found that he had gotten his beak stuck in one of those cheap christmas type bells that was attached to a toy. He was trying to work the little hanging part out of it and got his beak stuck in the little hole at the top on the inside. Sheldon wasnt in panic mode and my daughter that it would be a good time for a rescue video. She managed to work the bell off his face. I'll post that video one of these days.

Most Reactions