branches in cage

Charlie71

Mar 2, 2023
Parrots
parakeet
Hello all, new here. I acquired a cage and bought 2 parakeets. Did a little reseach and saw the dowel rod perches are not good so gathereddead branches to place in cage. Live in south florida so one of branches was from a white pine. Birds love them. Have little nodes on them kinda like seeds or something that they climb over, and actually argue over best spot to chip away at. Do not know if eating or not but question is should I keep in cage or is this harmful to them. Also think I have 2 females would they be happier with a male in cage? It is a large cage so plenty room for 3 birds.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I think pine sap is harmful in that it's sticky and I think any outdoor materials should be baked to kill any pathogens. I think generally fruit tree branches are OK too.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello all, new here. I acquired a cage and bought 2 parakeets. Did a little reseach and saw the dowel rod perches are not good so gathereddead branches to place in cage. Live in south florida so one of branches was from a white pine. Birds love them. Have little nodes on them kinda like seeds or something that they climb over, and actually argue over best spot to chip away at. Do not know if eating or not but question is should I keep in cage or is this harmful to them. Also think I have 2 females would they be happier with a male in cage? It is a large cage so plenty room for 3 birds.
You are better off purchasing natural wood branch perches for them. Anything found outdoors may be infested with bugs, contaminated by chemical pesticides, fertilizers or other pollutants. Or, as with pine, have sap that is harmful. Some kinds of wood branches may also be toxic. Better safe than very sorry.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
You are better off purchasing natural wood branch perches for them. Anything found outdoors may be infested with bugs, contaminated by chemical pesticides, fertilizers or other pollutants. Or, as with pine, have sap that is harmful. Some kinds of wood branches may also be toxic. Better safe than very sorry.
If your two girls get along well I would not get a male. Female budgies can get nasty and jealous not to mention want to make more budgies! Post pictures!

Most Reactions