Brand New Parrot Person

graceyann

Dec 23, 2016
Kansas
Parrots
1 Timneh African Grey
Thank you for welcoming me to the group.
10 days ago, a new member joined my family......"Freckles" is a 35 year old Timneh African Grey. Her person had passed away and no family member was willing to keep her......through acquaintances', I learned of her plight and said she would be welcome in my home.
We are getting to know each other.....she had been housed for years in a very small cage, one bell toy, one perch and I am amazed she didn't resort to plucking, etc.
I'm an Antiques collector and about a year ago had purchased a Victorian-era, wrought iron cage, 6' tall and 4' square......with a cupola. At the time, I had a pet Starling (Wink is a whole other story)......but the bars were too wide and she could slip through them. Sadly, Wink passed away at 10 years of age, but I had the cage restored and it sat in storage until Freckles came home.
She LOVES it.....she now has SIX different toys to play with, a swing, four perches and a picture window to keep tabs on the front yard. She was never handled much and that's okay......I'm not pushing the issue......just letting her learn that hands aren't scary, they give treats.:14:
She's becoming more and more vocal every day.....and in just the short time she's been with me, I can't imagine not having her with me.
I'm looking forward to learning from all of you.....thoughts and suggestions are most welcome.
Best......Ann

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Ann and Freckles! Thank you for rescuing a 35 year old bird from such a forlorn situation!

Just a question about the restored Victorian cage - was lead-free paint used? Also important to verify Freckle's head cannot get caught between the bars!

Greys are not the most cuddly of parrots, but with love and time you may be pleasantly surprised!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome, and congratulations!

Sounds like the beginning of a beautiful relationship... two, actually: you and your bird, and you and us!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Welcome Ann and Freckles. Thank you for giving her a forever home.

I am a little concerned also re the cage as has been mentioned by our friendly Mod, Scott, but also that it had a real good wash down before Freckles took up residence?

It would be lovely to hear Wink's story if you can bear to share? We have members who have starlings and they sound mischievous but awfully funny. Welcome again.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome, Ann and Freckles! Thank you for giving Freckles a new home and helping him out of a sad situation. We'd love to see photos.

OP
G

graceyann

Dec 23, 2016
Kansas
Parrots
1 Timneh African Grey
Happy Wednesday everyone!
Regarding Freckles new cage.....ie "the palace"......I spent a considerable amount of $$$$ having the cage restored. it was originally suppose to hold my Starling, Wink, but she could easily slip through the spaces between the bars......the paint is absolutely lead free......and no worries about Freckles getting her head stuck, she can poke it in and out with no problem. I appreciate the concern :) i'll happily share Wink's story a bit later......she was something very special.....little stinker had a vocabulary of almost 60 words and many different sounds. it was a sad day when she passed away......those that new her sure loved her. i'll post photos of my new little family member as soon as I can.....her feathers were so sad when she came to live with me, very dull......can't say that now!! she reminds me of "toothless" in "How to Train Your Dragon".......my little Frecklar the Grey.

Most Reactions

Latest posts