threat2society

Jan 10, 2023
Lithuania
Parrots
my CAG bruknė !! ( Lingonberry in english LOL )
hi guys. in need of help again... my CAG keeps doing this weird thing where she starts panting and pacing around (I'll attach a video). she's definetly not hormonal since she's just 6 months old. i have no idea what's causing this because it just happens randomly. she does this several times a day. should i take her to the vet ?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1436015342(0)(0).mp4
    8.4 MB

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Interesting. She looks kind of excited to me, or like she's deciding whether to go for a flight. I'll admit though, I only have experience with adult birds, so take it for what it's worth.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't know.
That's the short and sweet answer.
It does look hormonal and I agree it can't be at 6 months old.
My CAG has never held her wings down low like that.
I will be interested to hear more (and better) answers on this.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I don't know.
That's the short and sweet answer.
It does look hormonal and I agree it can't be at 6 months old.
My CAG has never held her wings down low like that.
I will be interested to hear more (and better) answers on this.
I agree. I'm looking forward to other ideas here. My ekkie crouches a d slightly spreads his wings and flutters them when he's excited, usually trying to get my attention to come let him out. My grey is MUCH older, but does something similar to the video when he's about to jump off my arm to get to something on the floor, or to an exciting new box to chew up in his cage. He's more motivated by cardboard than by treats. 🙄🤣

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Looks to me like she wants something. I would try offering her water first, then food. If it still continues try offering her a scratchie or putting her in a favorite perching place.

The wing position and pacing looks, to me, like anxiety induced, pre-flight jitters, so try offering her the above. And, even though 6 months is early for hormone induced behavior, remember that every parrot is its own individual. THat and what with this years CRAZY, heavy and long lasting mating season, this might be ormone iduced behavior.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
hi guys. in need of help again... my CAG keeps doing this weird thing where she starts panting and pacing around (I'll attach a video). she's definetly not hormonal since she's just 6 months old. i have no idea what's causing this because it just happens randomly. she does this several times a day. should i take her to the vet ?
Awww. She's so cute! It looks like she's thinking about doing something, like trying to fly somewhere but can't make up her mind. My birds often crouch and spread their shoulders like this right before launching.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Awww. She's so cute! It looks like she's thinking about doing something, like trying to fly somewhere but can't make up her mind. My birds often crouch and spread their shoulders like this right before launching.
I wonder where to draw the line between excited and anxious. Could be either one or a combination. I agree with wrench13 that it looks like pre-flight body language. And her facial expression looks like she's unsure of herself.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I wonder where to draw the line between excited and anxious. Could be either one or a combination. I agree with wrench13 that it looks like pre-flight body language. And her facial expression looks like she's unsure of herself.
Personally, I would sit on the floor about six feet away look at her encouragingly and see if she does this and flies to me. If she does I would praise her and give her treats to help build her confidence. She looks like she's wanting your encouragement and approval.
Maybe I'm way off wrong. It's so hard to read a bird's mind.

Most Reactions

Latest posts