Cage bedding.. which do you use? why?

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I use a hand held steamer when cleaning my birds cages. It makes quick work of it and there is no rinsing off. It came with a steal brush and a nylon brush. I use the nylon brush. The hot steam disinfects the cage all in one step.

OP
Mama4life

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw ~ Boo &
African Grey Congo ~ Rivor
Do you know where I can get a hand held steamer? walmart maybe?

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I use blank news sheets. You can get them through shipping/packaging companies' You can also blank newspaper known as 'end rolls' through actual newpaper printing companies. These are the last inch or so of paper left on the rolls that have been used to produce their newspapers. Some companies give them away; others sell them for a few bucks per roll.
The newspaper sheets that I use are 20x30.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Do you know where I can get a hand held steamer? walmart maybe?

They used to sell that stuffs at Walmart, I don't know if they still do or not. It's high pressure steamer, it's very hot so you must watch where you spray. I've got one myself to sanitize with.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
It used to be one of those as seen on TV type of deal....So it's anyone's guess if they still sell that stuff....

OP
Mama4life

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
Oh bummer guess ill have to shop around :)

OP
Mama4life

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
Okay, so ive been really busy packing for our move on September 15 and I STILL had not got to clean Boo's cage... agh... tonight I had an itch to clean it regardless of my severe case of vertigo... there were moths? Coming from his cage? I am ashamed... I got caught up with husband being in the hospital 2x my 3 kids having a bad cold and my sis inlaw having my new nephew that I only kept up with food and water.

Well... I'm happy to report that my husband and I cleaned Rivor's and Boo's cage! Washed them down, scrubbed them, and bathed the birds! Fresh food and water and rearrangement of toys and entertainment! Im upset that I let Boo's cage get that bad but I'm happy its all brand new looking just like Rivor's cage. ALSO Boo's dna results came back.. Boo is a...........
................. BOY!!!!!:blue1:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
About time! I've got 12 boys and 11 girls not including the furry ones....furry babies, 4 boys and 2 girls. :)

Johnny

Nov 27, 2012
Parrots
Ciry, Kira - B&G
Hey! We have been using wooden pellets for about 5 months now, and it is really great!
http://images.ihb.de/p-17860000-17855353-1/Wood-pellets.JPG

I dont use newspaper, because my girl likes to throw food and stuff down in her cage, and with pellets she can just go down and eat it later and stuff, she also likes to play down in the cage. It is also easy to clean her poop like this :)

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
When I purchased my cage in excellent used condition (scrubbed and sanitized it prior to using) the previous owner sent bags of the brownish grey paper animal bedding with it. They were all still sealed, large bags. What my daughter does when she cleans the cage, keep in mind she has a grate in the bottom, she puts newspaper on the tray, then a thin layer of the bedding material to absorb the droppings. Works great! It is a big cage, she scrubs it once a week, using a brush and a little dawn in warm water, she scrubs the bottom grate, the liquid is absorbed by the bedding, she removes the tray, rolls up the old bedding in the news paper,then puts down fresh paper and bedding. The bird never comes in contact with the actual bedding, it is about 2 inches below the grate, it's not dusty or damp. Works out well.

OP
Mama4life

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
Oh I know what those pellets are! I used computer paper for the time being... lol I also zip tied the bottom piece with the metal bars so he cannot get to the Poop:D

OP
Mama4life

Mama4life

Aug 11, 2013
Cocoa, FL
Parrots
I will have to go buy the paper daily. The paper towels and or the computer paper worded or is working good!

Most Reactions