Cockatiels don't want head-scratches

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
Some bird owners say that, if a Cockatiel likes you, they will tilt their head down for scratches. We've had Kona and Pepper for almost one year. They sit on our laps and shoulders, whistle back-and-forth with my husband, sit on our heads, play with my hair, make eye contact with us, fly to our hands for treats...basically, they seem to be bonded to us, except they don't want scratches. If it's not a problem, I am fine with it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Some bird owners say that, if a Cockatiel likes you, they will tilt their head down for scratches. We've had Kona and Pepper for almost one year. They sit on our laps and shoulders, whistle back-and-forth with my husband, sit on our heads, play with my hair, make eye contact with us, fly to our hands for treats...basically, they seem to be bonded to us, except they don't want scratches. If it's not a problem, I am fine with it.
They are bonded to you and like you but since they are both birds they probably look to each other for head scratches. I don't see this as a problem.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Some birds just don't enjoy head scratches. It necessarily doesn't mean they dislike you. From what you shared, they seem very comfortable around you. It's not a problem at all.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have had as many as 7 Cockatiels and only 2 want scratches.
the 2 are 2 or the 3 Cockatiels we raised from the egg..

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
It's not a problem. The bird sounds like it's bonded with you. Some birds just don't like scratches.
That's why it's hard to make blanket statements like "all tiels love scratches". They are individuals and have individuals characters

OP
L

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
It's not a problem. The bird sounds like it's bonded with you. Some birds just don't like scratches.
That's why it's hard to make blanket statements like "all tiels love scratches". They are individuals and have individuals characters
I agree. I think some of these blanket statements are being promoted by bird "experts" on YouTube and Instagram or TikTok. Some of those owners mean well, but they seem to think that their experience is the correct experience that we should all have.

OP
L

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
Thank you all for the responses!

I've mostly gotten the "Cockatiels should want scratches" impression from owners on YouTube and Instagram. As I wrote in another comment, I think some of these owners promote the idea that "my bird does this, so yours should be doing it, too".

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I see it as a sign of ultimate trust.
To leave yourself so completely vulnerable to an enormous creature that looks nothing like you.
exposing your neck and head .
It could be some parrots can’t bring themselves to trust that far.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you all for the responses!

I've mostly gotten the "Cockatiels should want scratches" impression from owners on YouTube and Instagram. As I wrote in another comment, I think some of these owners promote the idea that "my bird does this, so yours should be doing it, too".
Those YouTube videos make so many people unhappy with their birds. I like watching them but I almost wish people wouldn't post them.

OP
L

LilyElizabeth

Oct 29, 2023
United States
Those YouTube videos make so many people unhappy with their birds. I like watching them but I almost wish people wouldn't post them.
On the one hand, some videos helped me understand why people enjoy keeping birds. I used to think owners just shoved them into cages and treated them like living decorations (granted, a few probably still do). I didn't understand how a person can bond with them, and what proper bird care involves (letting them out of the cage, etc.).

On the other hand, I agree that those videos can give unrealistic expectations: "I got this Conure three days ago; why doesn't he want to cuddle?"

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My girls want scratches anytime we walk in the room.
When the sun goes down they Are more hesitant.

Bingo is 100% bonded to me and hates OP (other people).
He loves scratches from me.
My wife and son would get bitten if they used their hand.
But he accepts scratches from them if they use the dull end of a pen.

Bella is bonded to my wife and only accepts scratches from her. period. Full stop
Sometimes she pretends sh’s gonna let you scratch her and then snap, she bits hard and fast.

Parcho my RLA now gone was bonded to me.
she would accept scratches from me and sometimes my son..
But she had the habit of biting in the middle of a scratch.

Most Reactions

Latest posts