confessions of a bird huffer.

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
Ok, some of you may find this a bit cazy, even for our community, but here here goes:

I'm a bird huffer.

it started when I was a small child, 6 years old. It was at this time that we got our first chickens. The first time I held a chick up to my face and inhaled I was hooked. Ad the chickens grew up you could often find me carying one of the hens around with my face buried in its back feathers... Smelling the bird smell. Soon it had pogressed to a Budgie, for in house huffing, and then a turkey (I still miss Turkey Lurkey, she was a good bird, and so MUCH bird smell!)

the last of the chickens died of old age, as did the Budgie, and I left home for college... For 14 years my huffing was limited to occasional use of other people's birds, petting zoo visits, and friendly chickens found wandering near farms...

Now I have a bird again full time, and I'm back to my old ways... Every time she sits on my shoulder I can't resist a sniff... A longer sniff... And when she is being tolerant, a full-fledged, nose-burried-in-neck-feathers huff.

*sniiiiiiiiif* ahhhh, the smell of birds! How I love that slightly earthy/dusty feather smell, the slight oily tang of clean, well-preened feathers, it's comforting, addictive, and weird as hell. ;)

So I'm curious, any other huffers out there willing to come out of the closet and share their addiction? Or am I really messed up beyond salvation? An I destined to crouch in a lonely alley corner by myself, sniffing the pidgeons and sparrows after news of my habbit reached my employer, destroying my career and family relations....? Please say I'm not alone here.

anyone? Anyone? Bueler?

OP
JawzX

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
come on, you Amazon owners out there can't tell me your crysanthemum-scented birds don't get a sniff now and then? And what about Macaws? Sometimes they smell like mixed fruit and musk, or the rosy, popcorny, calming scent of a cockatoo? Lovebirds can smell like sugar and spice! Budgies and my Alexandrine, (and most fowl) smell earthy, with a slightly oily tang that reminds me of an old, comfortable oil-cloth raincoat, only more subtle and intoxicating... My one encounter with an eclectus was honey and talcum powder, sweet and dusty, mmmmm.... Cockatiels can be slightly stinky though... Like mild foot odor...

god, I am weird aren't I? I know birds by their smell...

Last edited:

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
No you aren't weird at all! I LOVE bird smell <3

When I was a kid my mum's friend bred budgies and I LOVED being in there. I had my own birds over the years and never stopped loving the smell.

I had frequent tics and bites and all sorts from cuddling my sisters hen's haha!

It's a very very comforting smell when you grew up with birds.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I often bury my nose in Levi's feathers. Fred smells wonderful...I don't bury my nose in him yet, but I LOVE to smell him from as close as I dare to get....

AndrewH

Aug 22, 2010
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Both my birds are rehomed rescues. Samantha, Umbrella Cockatoo (HD: 2002)
Lucky, B&G Macaw (HD: 1990-ish?)
I wouldn't consider myself a bird sniffer, but I have noticed that my macaw has a sweet smell. The cockatoo smells neutral.

Dj tweet

Aug 11, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix- alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010

mikki- barraband x king parrot
21yrs old
No birds yet but They on their way and I can't wait for a sniff
my old ring neck x moustache used to remind me of old spice ( god I love that smell )
hope my new moustache smells as good
What do king parrots smell like ???
We may be weird but everyone had their vices
better sniffing birds that cocaine

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I'm more of a kitten huffer myself.

One must be careful with the recreational use of bird huffing. Sure it starts with chickens ....
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Chicken_Huffing

EDIT: Those without a sense of humor should not read that article. And if you do - don't blame me!

Last edited:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
While I'm sure this thread was started out of humor, there are younger members and members who are new to birds that may not realize this, for health reasons I wouldn't suggest anyone go around inhaling bird dander on a regular basis, that being said there's a reason why there's a warning label on a tube of Preperation H that states: this product should not be taken orally.......for those that are easily persuaded.....Heres Your Sign! :11:

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
there's a reason why there's a warning label on a tube of Preperation H that states: this product should not be taken orally....
Oh dear.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZAtpFXmQE"]YouTube - Preperation H[/ame]

Note: similar disclaimers as previous post apply.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
I have to say AD, on the whole/hole that fits exactly what I was saying :09:

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Guilty...my old conure used to lean against my lips when I would read in bed.sweet clean feathers.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
I didn't think anything could ever beat the "puppy smell" but the Amazon smell does indeed beat it! Fred loves his showers which reduces the smell, though...

Hurricane

Sep 6, 2010
After reading this I don't feel like so much of a weirdo. I used to love the way that my parakeet smelled when I was younger, as she was the only bird that I was allowed to be mostly responsible for. Sev smells slightly musky and it reminds me of the damp smell that was always present at the top of our cellar stairs. I love it!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
I am glad I am not alone! :D When ever my IRN is in my face I cant help but take a deep sniff - she smells BEAUTIFUL!
2uge4p4.gif

Vivica

Sep 7, 2010
Philadelphia PA
Parrots
1 15 year old Golden Capped Conure Named Wrnts
When my conure gets a shower with his daddy, I always love to sniff his wet feathers. Smells so musky and potent. And he looks quite silly too. Do you all find that their smell is amplified when they're wet? I do, and I always make sure I get a whiff. Haha.

Most Reactions