Does anyone know the proper way to transplant a large tree?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We're getting this tree tomorrow, and the owner says it's 6 feet tall (not including the root ball).
From what I read, we should wrap the root ball in wet burlap and use twine to keep the branches together like when transporting a Christmas tree.
We're digging the whole for it this evening so we can hurry and get it in the ground tomorrow.
Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips?

16983bd7-d6df-47b8-8b7a-9b63cbdaef8e

b3947af3-7c72-41cf-8218-bb6a38597eda

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I wouldn't say that I know the right way, but we have been successful by using a root simulator. We have used Fertilome Root Stimulator at planting time. It will greatly reduce transplant shock and encourage your evergreen tree to resume its normal growing habits more quickly. Hope this help and all goes well. It is a beautiful tree.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I wouldn't say that I know the right way, but we have been successful by using a root simulator. We have used Fertilome Root Stimulator at planting time. It will greatly reduce transplant shock and encourage your evergreen tree to resume its normal growing habits more quickly. Hope this help and all goes well. It is a beautiful tree.
Thanks so much for the tip, we're picking some up on the way to get the tree!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
We got the tree and it's looking really good so far!
Thanks again for your help, @LoveOfallAnimals !

treecrop1.jpg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We're getting this tree tomorrow, and the owner says it's 6 feet tall (not including the root ball).
From what I read, we should wrap the root ball in wet burlap and use twine to keep the branches together like when transporting a Christmas tree.
We're digging the whole for it this evening so we can hurry and get it in the ground tomorrow.
Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips?

16983bd7-d6df-47b8-8b7a-9b63cbdaef8e

b3947af3-7c72-41cf-8218-bb6a38597eda
Make sure you water it very well and don't let the roots dry out the first growing season while they're getting established. You can buy a watering tube to put around the base of the tree. You put the tube on the ground around the tree and fill the tube with water and the water will slowly seep out and into the soil over an extended period of time assuring that the soil doesn't dry out where the roots are growing.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Make sure you water it very well and don't let the roots dry out the first growing season while they're getting established. You can buy a watering tube to put around the base of the tree. You put the tube on the ground around the tree and fill the tube with water and the water will slowly seep out and into the soil over an extended period of time assuring that the soil doesn't dry out where the roots are growing.
Thank you for that tip, I'll look into getting one of those watering tubes:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts