First-time owner and already messed up, how do I fix it?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It sounds like his wound is healing, I'm happy to know that. Please continue to keep an eye on him just in case there is an infection inside.
A lot of people put stickers on their windows to keep their birds from flying into them. Is there any way you can birdproof the room? Your guy would be so much happier being out of his cage sometimes.

About the cage, are you saying that only round cages are sold there? I'm not sure if you are talking about them being round, or about the size of the cage.

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
It sounds like his wound is healing, I'm happy to know that. Please continue to keep an eye on him just in case there is an infection inside.
A lot of people put stickers on their windows to keep their birds from flying into them. Is there any way you can birdproof the room? Your guy would be so much happier being out of his cage sometimes.

About the cage, are you saying that only round cages are sold there? I'm not sure if you are talking about them being round, or about the size of the cage.
He’s doing better and he is not as afraid as he was on the first day, I’ll try to put some stickers on my window I know a place.
The bird cages that have been recommended to me were the round ones for that bird, I did read about round birdcaged and it does seem like a square one would be viable. However I spent a lot of money on this cage already and I honestly think I should slow down with changing the habitat day in snd day out

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
A smaller cage can be great for letting a new bird adjust to a new environment. It’s a great idea to give him time to settle in without changing the environment right now. After he’s settled in and getting more comfortable with you I suggest looking into a larger cage for him. In general I would avoid any table-top cage. They tend to be very small and more unstable. As small as our little birds are it takes a lot of room for toys, perches, and freedom to explore and exercise while caged. I’m glad to hear your guy is settling better today. For more tips on getting him comfortable with you, I highly recommend the YouTube channel Elle and the Birds. Her channel was immensely helpful to me in learning how to bond with my bird. Best of luck!

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
A smaller cage can be great for letting a new bird adjust to a new environment. It’s a great idea to give him time to settle in without changing the environment right now. After he’s settled in and getting more comfortable with you I suggest looking into a larger cage for him. In general I would avoid any table-top cage. They tend to be very small and more unstable. As small as our little birds are it takes a lot of room for toys, perches, and freedom to explore and exercise while caged. I’m glad to hear your guy is settling better today. For more tips on getting him comfortable with you, I highly recommend the YouTube channel Elle and the Birds. Her channel was immensely helpful to me in learning how to bond with my bird. Best of luck!
I won’t yet overwhelm him with toys and other stuff. He has two feedings bowls, two water bowls and two mirrors with bells on it as well as a swing. I just want him to settle in this cage and start eating and drinking as he hasn’t for two days, or has but in minimal quantities. I cant really force him to eat so I hope he can start eating and drinking when he has many opportunities to.
I found many videos learning to bond with a pet shop parrot, since its not even been a week I’ll first just talk to it, sing and whisper for two weeks to get it to trust me or get comfortable with me

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
Hi! I read it all and thanks a lot for this! I do have one question in particular though. I have some experience with parrots as this is my fifth one (the first three escaped while the fourth lived out its life, I regret not doing much with them as I was a kid then) and I know they can get stuck behind shelves, bang into windows, etc. My apartment isn't built to hold any kind of cover due to it having its own iron sheets to block out the sun. My question is what do I do to prevent it from crashing into windows?
I would hang a sheer curtain or get window stickers. Also introduce your bird to the window when you are at that point. I hold my birds and tap on the window and say “this is glass” over and over. Parrots can understand phrases. They can freak out and fly into windows regardless.

Beebee0221

Mar 15, 2022
Parrots
Bee Bee
I won’t yet overwhelm him with toys and other stuff. He has two feedings bowls, two water bowls and two mirrors with bells on it as well as a swing. I just want him to settle in this cage and start eating and drinking as he hasn’t for two days, or has but in minimal quantities. I cant really force him to eat so I hope he can start eating and drinking when he has many opportunities to.
I found many videos learning to bond with a pet shop parrot, since its not even been a week I’ll first just talk to it, sing and whisper for two weeks to get it to trust me or get comfortable with me
I would put some perches or branches and a couple of toys in this cage. They won’t be overwhelmed but might not play with them at first. I would 100% discard the mirrors though. They can be psychologically damaging, in my own opinion. A larger cage would be amazing. They have them on Amazon that are very affordable. :) best of luck!

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I would put some perches or branches and a couple of toys in this cage. They won’t be overwhelmed but might not play with them at first. I would 100% discard the mirrors though. They can be psychologically damaging, in my own opinion. A larger cage would be amazing. They have them on Amazon that are very affordable. :) best of luck!
I'll keep this cage because we changed it too often and we don't want to put more stress on the new bird. I'm not sure if mirrors are a problem for now as it only licks it (I suppose that's what the little blurry areas signal) and it gets enough socialization from me and two other people switching from time to time. I also play songs and talk to them so I think we're doing good for the second day of having him. I also put my hand in the cage from time to time and let it hang there so he gets accustomed to my presence, though I'm still not sure if that's okay yet.
PS: It has a swing too :)).

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have given my birds pine cones that I rinsed off and baked in the oven. They really liked to rip those up, more than any expensive toys I think.

It sounds like you are really working to make friends with your new bird!

OP
E

Ezra_Gecko

Jan 7, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have given my birds pine cones that I rinsed off and baked in the oven. They really liked to rip those up, more than any expensive toys I think.

It sounds like you are really working to make friends with your new bird!
Yeah :D, I think today was a huge step forward! Firstly it began eating normally and isn't afraid of me as much. The puffed-up feathers still exist but it's more lively than ever. Secondly, the mirror isn't a problem for now. He just licks and tries to rip it from the wall completely ignoring the reflection as well as ringing the bell under the mirror.
Still no continuous beeps but he is making progress and it's only the second day!
I will do better for him, including his habitat, but that's for another day as I just want him to get comfortable in his current home!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think you have made a fine start. It sounds like he plays with the mirror and bell. I think he was just timid about eating in front of you, but I’m glad he’s more relaxed now.

Chenetaqwa

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Winston ... 6 month old green cheek conure
4 budgies ( parakeet)
The wound pretty much closed off and it doesn't hinder his little flight in the cage, I'm quite scared to let him out even in my room. It doesn't have sharp objects or anything but the spacing between the shelves, the window, and little crawlspaces. The acquaintance, unfortunately, cannot be kept away for good but he can be minimal, the bird spends most of its time in my room where I play songs on the radio as well as some calming music and fellow Cockatiel noises.
And about the cage, this is as good as it gets here, unfortunately. Besides, I spent way too much money on this cage and the bird itself. This is the same type of cage but was given to us by a friend. Same dimensions and everything, and the one we bought will be sold or switched out. Have you any recommendations for the cage? We have limited space where I can put the bird.
Also, its name is Chiro :))
About the cage ...
BIGGER is better...
Get the largest cage you can get... do it correctly the first time and it will be cheaper in the long run and you won't end up with a collection of old cages.

About taming.... don't try to go quickly...take the clues from the bird ...she will tell you when it's time to advance...
Start by feeding a treat thru the bars... eventually reach inside to offer the treat...try safflower seeds or no hull sunflower seeds...
Then make her stretch to reach the seed ...eventually put your other hand between and make her reach over it to get the treat before you know it she will put one foot on your hand ..then both..
Then you can have her step up and bring her to the door for the treat and right back to the perch in the cage ...now you can start to bring her outside and she won't be afraid and fly off bat shit crazy..
All that will take about a month or more ...but that's up to your bird
Good luck ...I hope this helps

Most Reactions

Latest posts