Foam Mattress Toxic?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
I recently posted a concern regarding my 5 year old Conures newest issues when uncovering him in the morning. He appears zombie-like and doesn’t seem to recognize me. Then when I wheel him out to the living room for the day, he snaps out of it and seems fine. You can read the post here:

I am now suspecting the heating vent that is directly under the futon (foam mattress)and possibly causing toxic fumes. This problem I witnessed with Buddy seemed to start the day after I turned on the furnace for heat. I don’t suspect the heater since it’s not even a year old and he went through last winter with it and had no issues. But the futon was not here last winter.
But am suspecting the furnace heat that is only about 12” away from the mattress and possibly causing a toxic gas. His door is not completely shut during the night and I don’t smell anything “off” when I go into the room…but he might.
Upon closer inspection of the vent this morning, it’s really NOT hot but warm since propane heat. Mattress was really not that warm.

Does anyone else have their bird sleep in a room where a heating vent is right near a foam mattress? I’ve Googled this possible problem but nothing comes up.

Last edited:

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
So, looking online, it seems like foam mattresses in particular off- gas VOC’s ( volatile organic compounds) used during the manufacturing process. They can do this at room temperature. It is possible that this is bothering your bird and that turning on the heat vent is causing these compounds to circulate around the room, making it worse. It seems like after a while these fumes would have dissipated to the point where they are no longer harmful but every bird is different and some are certainly more sensitive to certain things than others.

I would say it’s definitely worth keeping your bird out of that room for a week or two to see if he improves. And good job doing some detective work to try and figure out what’s going on! 🙂

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
So, looking online, it seems like foam mattresses in particular off- gas VOC’s ( volatile organic compounds) used during the manufacturing process. They can do this at room temperature. It is possible that this is bothering your bird and that turning on the heat vent is causing these compounds to circulate around the room, making it worse. It seems like after a while these fumes would have dissipated to the point where they are no longer harmful but every bird is different and some are certainly more sensitive to certain things than others.

I would say it’s definitely worth keeping your bird out of that room for a week or two to see if he improves. And good job doing some detective work to try and figure out what’s going on! 🙂
Thanks for the suggestion on the possible circulation of the fumes. And to add to that possibility, I cover his cage except for about 12” in the front. His cage is backed up against a wall, so with that opening, it’s possible the fumes may be getting concentrated in the cage.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Whether Nature Gas, Propane or Fuel Oil, furnace maximum temperature is regulated and is not allowed to exceed specific temperatures, hence Warm Not Hot!

Since you are likely fully covering the cage, consider leaving one face not covered.

This will limit any build-up - remember that heat rises.

OP
Caitnah

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Whether Nature Gas, Propane or Fuel Oil, furnace maximum temperature is regulated and is not allowed to exceed specific temperatures, hence Warm Not Hot!

Since you are likely fully covering the cage, consider leaving one face not covered.

This will limit any build-up - remember that heat rises.
Thanks…makes sense. Will try this once I get the courage to try him back in that room.

Most Reactions

Latest posts