Friend for the parrot

Kari

Mar 25, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
We got our parrot about six months ago. Now we need some advice. When we leave the house or just leave him alone for a while, he starts to get sad and cry (we heard it). We would not want him to be sad, so we are thinking about buying a companion for him. But since this is our first parrot, we don't know how to do the right thing, so please help us to make our parrot happier. The shop where we bought it said it was a boy, but we are not sure. So I have some specific questions: 1. Is it important to have parrots of different sexes? 2. What conditions are best to create for their adaptation together? 3. Can we contribute to their friendship?
Please help us with advice

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 10

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, your conure is adorable. How is your cage setup? Do you have a lot of toys for your conure to play with while you are away? Both of my conures can be vocal even when Iā€™m away (blink camera). They make a variety of noises, and for different reasons. Contact calling with my conures is very common. If I donā€™t hear them is when I start to think they are up to no good.

As for adding an additional parrot. There is no guarantee that 2 parrots will get along. I always tell anyone who posts on here to only get another parrot if you yourself want another parrot. If they donā€™t end up liking each other it can be time consuming as you may not be able to have them out at the same time. They may also injure each other badly. Iā€™ve read horror stories of conures biting off toes of other parrots. Just be careful if you do add an additional parrot.

OP
K

Kari

Mar 25, 2024
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hi there, your conure is adorable. How is your cage setup? Do you have a lot of toys for your conure to play with while you are away? Both of my conures can be vocal even when Iā€™m away (blink camera). They make a variety of noises, and for different reasons. Contact calling with my conures is very common. If I donā€™t hear them is when I start to think they are up to no good.

As for adding an additional parrot. There is no guarantee that 2 parrots will get along. I always tell anyone who posts on here to only get another parrot if you yourself want another parrot. If they donā€™t end up liking each other it can be time consuming as you may not be able to have them out at the same time. They may also injure each other badly. Iā€™ve read horror stories of conures biting off toes of other parrots. Just be careful if you do add an additional parrot.
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of getting a new parrot for a week while I can be at home and watch them. About the toys, he is not interested in them, we have already tried tons of them. He only plays with them if we participate.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I think it's better to give a lonely parrot a companion. There is no guarantee they will like each other but as long as they tolerate each other I think it's better for the bird.
Male or female is fine, it can even be another species but some are more likely to get along with conures than others.

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
The American and European approaches to this issue differ. In Europe it is strongly recommended that all parrots need a companion, and in some countries it is forbidden to keep them alone (I think in Germany).
There is always a risk to add a new parrot for sure but hopefully they can get along and be happier. I have brothers - at least we think, no DNA tested- from the start and yes they have some issues and fight sometimes- nothing serious- but most of the time they really get on well, good to know that when we are not home they can have company. Preening, sleeping together all the time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts