General info and questions

jay1

Dec 16, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Hi all, I fostered an African Grey yesterday, his age was unknown but he doesn’t seem young. so far he seems pretty comfortable with me and explorative but I have a few different questions.

Firstly how can I get him out of his cage without scaring him, it seems he wants to come down but is afraid of climbing down and can’t reach the floor, I know it’s very soon but I’ve been trying to get him to step up, it seems like he knows what it is and he wants to do it but he puts 1 foot on my finger and starts to whimper, he did it once yesterday and he was rewarded, I was very proud of him but he very quickly got back onto his perch. I don’t want to rush him but he seems to want to explore around but can’t seem to get down from his cage.

Secondly, he seems to like my finger a lot he likes when I rub his head and everything but he likes it in his mouth for some reason, he doesn’t bite it just holds it there. Is that normal or just a getting to know me thing

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dont rush things! I always tell new parronts to proceed at your parrots rate of acceptance and not at your rate of expectations. It can take anywhere from a few days to weeks and even months with some parrots to relax and open up their personalities.

The finger in the mouth thing is likely just a comfort thing.

You need to read all the stickies at the top of our African Grey sub-forum and also the "I Love Amazons" stickie on the amazon sub-forum, it contains TONS of great info that is applicable to ALL parrots, nut just Amazons. You got a lot of reading to do. A GREAT idea is to read these out loud to your Grey - it will acclimate him to your voice and they love to be read to!

OP
J

jay1

Dec 16, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
Dont rush things! I always tell new parronts to proceed at your parrots rate of acceptance and not at your rate of expectations. It can take anywhere from a few days to weeks and even months with some parrots to relax and open up their personalities.

The finger in the mouth thing is likely just a comfort thing.

You need to read all the stickies at the top of our African Grey sub-forum and also the "I Love Amazons" stickie on the amazon sub-forum, it contains TONS of great info that is applicable to ALL parrots, nut just Amazons. You got a lot of reading to do. A GREAT idea is to read these out loud to your Grey - it will acclimate him to your voice and they love to be read to!
thanks for the reply, I just realized I posted in the wrong sub sorry about that. I actually can’t seem to find the African Grey sub-forum

OP
J

jay1

Dec 16, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
thanks for the reply, I just realized I posted in the wrong sub sorry about that. I actually can’t seem to find the African Grey sub-forum
Update : found it

Most Reactions

Latest posts