Goes crazy in the cage

potatoking

May 7, 2024
Media
Parrots
azure
Whenever I put him in the cage he goes psycho just thrashes around like crazy rushes all the corners like head first on the floor corners doesn't play with his toys just thrashes around only plays with toys when out of the cage bites everything. There any way to settle him down? I gotta work so he does have to be in the cage for like 9 hours but it's a decent size I think plenty of toys, just don't want him to hurt himself while I'm gone

Attachments

• PXL_20240512_163053804_exported_2692_1715531485945.jpg
    PXL_20240512_163053804_exported_2692_1715531485945.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 7

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
You could try covering one corner of the cage with a blanket so he has a hiding spot. Some birds like this, others donā€™t but you could try it. Otherwise, you can slowly teach him that being in the cage is okay. Just put him in the cage for a minute ( or even just a few seconds to start with) then let him right back out. Repeat this several times throughout the day until he stays calm in the cage for a very short time. Very slowly increase the amount of time that he spends in the cage before you let him back out. Always aim to let him out when he is calm so that he learns that calmness, not agitated behavior, is what opens the door. Be very patient. If he is genuinely scared then you canā€™t force him to get over that fear; you have to patiently show him that the cage doesnā€™t have to be a scary place. Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts