Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Makes me so nervous! This vet is 48 min. Away from me, not like all the other which are an hour and a half!

The physical exam is *drum roll* $142!

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s high. When Iā€™ve had to take snakes to the vet the exam was $50-90.
They had lots of good reviews about all pets and birds.
Wish me luck!
3F014F43-3840-4E82-AD0A-BCE18DAF22FA.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Best of luck on your vet visit! Striga, you be good for your Mama now ā¤ļø
Does that total include testing (I hope)?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh wow, that's more than here. But sometimes you get what you pay for, this vet may be amazing!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Back from the vet! Basically he said keep him warm, so Iā€™ll have to separate him from the other birds! I have ceramic heat lamps galore.
Iā€™m to give him antibiotics orally for 2 weeks, though he gave me a months supply in case.
It says itā€™s called SMZ/TMP? Anyone know what that means? šŸ˜…
Striga did pretty good, he was scared but not panicking.
The vet said heā€™d never heard the name Striga, then his vet tech, who he called the Witcher expert explained where the names from šŸ˜‚

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
SMZ TMP are just the initials of the drugs - it's a combination antibiotic (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) that's effective against different gram negative and gram positive bacteria, so it's fairly broad-spectrum and hopefully will do the trick for little Striga!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I'm so glad Striga didn't panic!
It sounds like the vet was worth the cost of the visit, and I hope that Striga is feeling his chipper self really soon:)

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
SMZ TMP are just the initials of the drugs - it's a combination antibiotic (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) that's effective against different gram negative and gram positive bacteria, so it's fairly broad-spectrum and hopefully will do the trick for little Striga!!
I hope it works too! Thanks for the name!šŸ˜…
I'm so glad Striga didn't panic!
It sounds like the vet was worth the cost of the visit, and I hope that Striga is feeling his chipper self really soon:)
Hopefully! The others will be glad heā€™s back too.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sorry I'm only seeing this now, @zERo. I'm so glad to know the vet visit went well and that both you and Striga are safely home, and I hope your precious little one is fully recovered very soon! šŸ™ šŸ™ šŸ™

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Sorry I'm only seeing this now, @zERo. I'm so glad to know the vet visit went well and that both you and Striga are safely home, and I hope your precious little one is fully recovered very soon! šŸ™ šŸ™ šŸ™
Heā€™s acting normally with the other budgies now, he was very happy to be home with them! The visit was great and Iā€™d go back if need be!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Back from the vet! Basically he said keep him warm, so Iā€™ll have to separate him from the other birds! I have ceramic heat lamps galore.
Iā€™m to give him antibiotics orally for 2 weeks, though he gave me a months supply in case.
It says itā€™s called SMZ/TMP? Anyone know what that means? šŸ˜…
Striga did pretty good, he was scared but not panicking.
The vet said heā€™d never heard the name Striga, then his vet tech, who he called the Witcher expert explained where the names from šŸ˜‚
Trimetheprim Sulfamethoxazole is the two part drug. It's a very effective "sulfa" class antibiotic. Aka Bactrim or Septra.
Your budgie is adorable and even though the cost of the exam is a bit high, he's worth it!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Heā€™s acting normally with the other budgies now, he was very happy to be home with them! The visit was great and Iā€™d go back if need be!
I bet they were all thrilled to see their little traveler again:)

Isn't it the best feeling to find an a vet that you can trust?

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Trimetheprim Sulfamethoxazole is the two part drug. It's a very effective "sulfa" class antibiotic. Aka Bactrim or Septra.
Your budgie is adorable and even though the cost of the exam is a bit high, he's worth it!
Thank you for the response too lol!

Most Reactions