Greetings from NJ

Belgaram

Nov 9, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
African Grey (Pooka)
Meyers (Bela)
Blue Fronted Amazon (Wanda)
Hello everyone. My name is Adam and I am a Police Officer in Atlantic County NJ (near Atlantic City). I am the lucky husband of a wonderful woman, the proud dad of 2 daughters 19 and 22 and 3 parrots: African Grey "Pooka", Meyers "Bela" and most recently, we rescued a Blue Fronted Amazon "Wanda".

We bought our current house about 4 years ago and one of the conditions was a florida room with a lot of sunlight for our birds. We have plans to eventually convert it into a full aviary. Right now it's our office/aviary.

I've posted about our rescue Wanda in the Amazon section. But, she is becoming my baby! It has been a very short rehab (10 days). She's come around quicker than anything I've ever seen. Almost instantly taking to me. She's still a work in progress and she still has some deep rooted issues we are working on, but she is night and day to the day we got her. The African Grey is totally my wife's bird. He loves her to pieces. He is tolerant of me and I can get him to step up but rarely lets me pet his head. Its usually a game when I try to pet him... Bobs and swirls his head, put his head down for me to pet him, then I watch his eyes :) If he's serious, they stay dialated, if hes not... pinned and I back off. He is a typical Grey. Funny! and a vocab that goes on for days! He comes up with stuff so randomly. And he loves to dance. Then we have Bela. My moody Meyers. She is very loving to everyone. She loves to climb through the neck of your shirt and rest there. The downside is that her nails grow SO fast and they get like little needles and will tear up my chest. I have 3 sandy perches for her and she rarely stands on them. Her only "fault" is she developed a cage aggression. If she is on her perch and you try to go in and have her step up, she will take a blood sample. You have to talk to her, coax her and then go slow. Then she will step up and she is the lovable Bela. But other than that, she is a total lover and funny! She has a small vocab of: Babe, Peek-a-boo and pretty bird. But says them at the most appropriate times. If she wants to come out... She says (in her grumbly Meyers voice) Baaabe.... If she wants to play, she says Peek-a-boo (sounds more like peekabrrr), and if shes being silly and wants lovin she says prettybrrr.

It's funny how we and our birds come up with routines together. I am up at 530 every morning and downstairs by 615. They get their breakfast of warmed birdy bread, (ocassionally scrambled eggs with the shell, broccoli, and kale), or we make batches of brown rice cooked with chicken stock, chick peas, tomato and green beans and freeze it. Their dry food which is a mix we get from Bird Paradise (no seeds. Fruit, nuts, pellets, veggies). And every morning, I am greeted with "Good Morning Pook" and "Baaabe" (unless its still dark out). Yet on the weekends, we sleep in til 9 or so and they know it.

I tell everyone. I'll take a Parrot over a dog or cat any day of the week.!

If my department had a Parrot division instead of K9s, Id be first in line for the job!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you so much for the GREAT intro, Adam! Loved reading about your fids, and cracked up laughing at your last sentence. :D

"Officer Adam reporting to duty, with Wanda on my shoulder."

The only thing that's missing are a few photos, if you have some to share with us all. :)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hi Adam,
Wha a great story. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing pics of your fids.

OP
B

Belgaram

Nov 9, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
African Grey (Pooka)
Meyers (Bela)
Here is Pooka.... We got up to get something to drink and he decided to hop in and help himself.
Fortunately there was no Poopcorn!

Pooka.jpg

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
First rule.... what's His is his.
Second rule..... what's Yours is his.

OP
B

Belgaram

Nov 9, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
African Grey (Pooka)
Meyers (Bela)
Here is Bela... She loves to sit on me and watch TV....

20131117_192126-1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
B

Belgaram

Nov 9, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
African Grey (Pooka)
Meyers (Bela)
And lastly, here is our newest family member, Wanda. The Wicked one that stole my heart and changed her ways :)

20131117_111725.jpg

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Your birds are awesome. I would LOVE to some day have an aviary/sun room on my house. (I have a big lot with room for it, but not the money to do it! haha)
The pic of your grey in the popcorn is so typical of how they think EVERYTHING they want is fair game. :) "what, you mean this isn't MINE?!"

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Welcome :)

They all look like cute little mischievous trouble makers ;) lol

But not Wanda...she looks COMPLETELY innocent. Haha

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Great pics! I'm a little partial to the grey and poi, but all three of your birds are awesome!

Last edited:
OP
B

Belgaram

Nov 9, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
African Grey (Pooka)
Meyers (Bela)
Thank you for the warm welcome! It's almost scary how much human like they are. They have good days and bad...They have distinct and individual personalities... They communicate, play...

@thekarens I came SOOO close to adopting a rehomed Senegal named Rocket. I actually don't remember why we didn't, to be honest. He was awesome! I ended up with Bela when we went to Bird Paradise and I saw her in a cage by herself. She stepped right up and went right up my arm and gave me kisses. I was hooked. We bonded for several weeks before we finally took her home. What I love about the Meyers is that they don't (usually) bond to any 1 person. So she will go to anyone. She's really sweet (most of the time) ;)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
What a cool story! When I met Sammie we weren't planning on getting another parrot. Our grey passed away a couple years ago. Anyway, we had gone to Traders Village, which is an outdoor weekend shopping/flea market. The local bird shop brings supplies and a few birds. I went in to look for a bigger cage for my linnies and there was Sammie. She came over and snuggled right up to me. My partner rolled her eyes and pulled out the credit cards and informed me she was my bird (she's still not over Beau's death) Sammie's been a real joy and is a total cuddle bug.

Squirt

Oct 13, 2013
NJ
Parrots
Sun Conure (f) Tallulah
Hello from the northern part of the state in Sparta, NJ. Beautiful birds! Welcome.

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Hi and welcome! Great pics of your birds!!! I'm in central NJ, think there are a bunch of us garden staters here. ;)

Most Reactions

Latest posts