Hello from Okra, a new addition to this corner of the internet

Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Okra: Yellow-chevroned parakeet
This is Okra, the canary winged parakeet. Okra is 9 years old, loves to be flat when she is not puffy, is obsessed with opening pill sorters of which she has 3 (all BPA free, only used to hide seeds), loves men with beards and large shoulders, adores car rides, watering the plants, would die for butter, and has been featured on a band tour poster as well as in a professional art exhibition. Okra is not looking to date or for feathered friends. She has never met a bird she liked. She would much prefer to attempt to mount my hand and engorge herself with yams. But here we are regardless. A warm hello to everyone!

Attachments

• Orka.jpg
    Orka.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Okraah.jpg
    Okraah.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 29

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
Hello and welcome! She sure is a wonderful and silly bird! The butter part did make me a little worried though, be sure it's only unsalted and in very limited amounts! Not trying to be rude, just want the best for your little friend! :D Hope you enjoy your time here!

OP
smallgreenfury
Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Hello and welcome! She sure is a wonderful and silly bird! The butter part did make me a little worried though, be sure it's only unsalted and in very limited amounts! Not trying to be rude, just want the best for your little friend! :D Hope you enjoy your time here!
Oh yeah I understand the concern. She doesn't get butter on it's own, sometimes on a bit of my toast or as part of a dish. But somehow she discovered what it is so freaks out whenever she sees it. Like possessed demon type freaking out and lunging. Must be the high fat content?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Okra is a sweetheart.
I understand you are not looking for dates but i'm just a man, with a beard and large shoulders...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed! I had a canary wing 9 yrs ago, his name was Max. He was a great parrot, and much like your Okra, did not like any other parrots ( he would have no problem bullying Amazons and Cockatoos when he was placed in a communal setting). He didn't talk but learned to whistle several tunes. Max loved every human, boy, girl, everyone! He used to play for hours with colored bottle caps and such. His species, Brotogeris Chiriri, used to be the #1 imported parrot back in the 1920's or so, now replaced with conures. In their native range, they are noted for actually seeking our human interaction. They are very much under rated these days, but you and I know different!

OP
smallgreenfury
Jul 13, 2023
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed! I had a canary wing 9 yrs ago, his name was Max. He was a great parrot, and much like your Okra, did not like any other parrots ( he would have no problem bullying Amazons and Cockatoos when he was placed in a communal setting). He didn't talk but learned to whistle several tunes. Max loved every human, boy, girl, everyone! He used to play for hours with colored bottle caps and such. His species, Brotogeris Chiriri, used to be the #1 imported parrot back in the 1920's or so, now replaced with conures. In their native range, they are noted for actually seeking our human interaction. They are very much under rated these days, but you and I know different!
I love that! It's wonderful to know that they seek out humans in nature, and makes quite a bit of sense. They are quite clingy from what I've heard. Max and Okra sound so similar. I am curious if they would have gotten along or been mortal enemies!

Most Reactions

Latest posts