Hello Parrot Lovers!

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
Hello Parrot Forum,

I am Gnarly, and just recently found myself with a bird companion.

My boyfriend and I have rescued a Senegal, who was DNA tested male and we were told is approximately five years old. He came to us as my boyfriend's friend, who owned a pet store (where the bird was keep) unfortunately went out of business. The pet store was left in care of friends of the store owner for about a week and a half, in which time the lights were not on regularly, nor was the bird given food or fresh water regularly. When it was our turn to check in on all the creatures we were displeased with the quality of care and took the bird, along with a turtle, which were the last animals in the store. We let the store owner aware of this, and he thanked us and relinquished the animals to our care happily. So now we have a little bird friend.

We've had him for about a week & he's been lovely so far. He chatters quietly, whistles pleasantly and really seems to enjoy my company. He likes to sit with me and to be petted and scratched on the head. He usually steps up eagerly, though sometimes he will nip or walk away from me. He seems to prefer me to my boyfriend, though he will let my beau hold him and pet him. His name was Sunny, but I've been calling him Gilligan and I think he's learning it.
My boyfriend is interested in target training him, and has been doing endless reading and video watching on the subject.

I've switched his food, as he was just being feed mixed seeds. Right now I'm feeding him a combination of seeds and pellets (zupreem natural) but he doesn't seem interested in the pellets at all. He just throws them on the floor. Is this something I should be worried about? Or will it likely resolve itself in time? Should I try different types of pellets? I've also been giving him some fruit, but only one or two small pieces a day, is this too much? Or not enough? Is there anything I'm neglecting to feed him?

Here is a picture of my little buddy, he's really proving to be quite the character.
0578ffab.jpg

3bc183db.jpg

We also have a dog, several dart frogs & vivariums, geckos, and reef tanks. We spend a lot of time on our pets! I also have a bearded dragon and hedgehogs at my mothers house a few minutes away (there's only so much room to keep everyone comfortably here! Haha). I had a cockatiel in the past, though he was never especially friendly and past away about five years ago. I think the experience with the other animals we keep will be helpful with learning to care for our new feathered friend properly. I'm always open to any suggestions or constructive criticism (or compliments), we're new to this and I want to do it right.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all you folks on the forum here!
Cheers!

-Gnarly

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
welcome! what a cute birdy pal! so nice to meet you as well! everyone on here is super duper nice and has helped me a ton with my new baby! don't be afraid to ask questions! what kind of geckos do you have out of curiosity?!

OP
G

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the welcome.
I keep three Rhacodactylus ciliatus (crested geckos) and one Lepidodactylus lugubris (mourning gecko).

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
awesome! my boyfriend and i breed leos! we've got somewhere around 20 now (we lost count) and a couple eggs in the incubator. reptiles<3

OP
G

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
Very neat. Leo's are super cool little creatures. & it seems like you have your hands full with them. :]

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Welcome to the forum!

You definitely need to give more fresh foods, offer a full meal of fresh fruits and veggies(bird safe), eggs once a wek with the shell, cooked brown rice one or twice a week, cooked beans once or twice a week also and you will have him on a good diet! Sprouts are also very nutritious for parrots so if you can offer them you should.
Parrots who have only had seeds will just pick the seeds out of the mix and throw the pellets out, you have to convert him to pellets slowly.
Offer the current diet in the morning for one hour, then replace it with pellets for the rest of the day. Then at night offer the seeds again for one hour then replace with pellets. Do this until you see him eating some pellets then reduce the amount of time you offer seeds to 45 min. You will see him eating more and more pellets, just reduce the amount of time you offer seeds by 15 min each time until he is eating just pellets. Make sure you are keeping track of his weight with a gram scale to make sure he doesn't lose too much weight(a few grams is fine, no more then 10). This method can take anywhere from one week to 6 months just keep at it, you will waste a lot of pellets. This method has never failed for me though.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gnarly

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I love how friendly everyone seems to be on this forum.

I really appreciate the advice on feeding. I will have to pick up a scale to monitor his weight.
I will start with more fresh foods in diet. For the eggs, are they just hard boiled?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
You can hard boil them or scramble them, I hard boil them so the birds have to work to get to the inside of the egg.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Beautiful bird and welcome to the forum. Also lots of bright colored veg ray or cooked depending on what he likes. ie: dark green leafy veg. cooked sweet potatoes carrots , red vgreen yellow peppers, chili peppers, beans peas etc and various fruits and whole grains cooked.. Alison and sweetie pie:D

MrsWharfrat

Jul 6, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings, 2 Yellow Naped Amazons, 1 Hahns Macaw
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I love how friendly everyone seems to be on this forum.

I really appreciate the advice on feeding. I will have to pick up a scale to monitor his weight.
I will start with more fresh foods in diet. For the eggs, are they just hard boiled?

I do both, but be careful with the shells, some pieces can be too large and can hurt our little feathered friends. I crush the shells :)

Most Reactions