Hello!!

Jaime1215

Sep 9, 2017
Mobile, Alabama
Parrots
Blue Quaker hatched 6/3/17
Hi!!

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself and my family. My boyfriend and I have just got our first pet together (we both have other pets as well). We chose a beautiful blue quaker 2 weeks ago today from a breeder. When we picked him up, he was 14 weeks old so he is now at the 4 month mark. His name is Percy. He was fully weened and the breeder sent us home with a travel cage, the food he was weaned on to, and some millet spray. Currently, I live in Biloxi, MS and my boyfriend lives in Mobile, AL (where Percy calls home). I'll be moving in with him in December but I spend a good portion of each week there as I'm a full time grad student taking classes online. We think this is actually good as we both get time to bond individually, Percy gets some time to learn to entertain himself when my boyfriend is working and I'm not there, and we get time as a flock.

He's set up with 2 cages, one in the bedroom to sleep (his wings were clipped when we got him so he's a bit unsteady) and a large cage with a playtop out on the screened in porch where he can see all the other birds and explore/stretch his wings. He was quite hand tame when we got him and he's already preening both of us and preening himself on us. He comes to either of us, he's learned step up, stretch (lifts both wings above his back), kisses, and he is chatting up a storm every day. We are just in love with this little man and he already has such a personality. We've been switching him from seed mix to nutriberries this week to start the transition to pellets. He loves them and he picks smaller pellets out of the seed mix, so I think we'll be ok. He sure does LOVE to eat. We picked him up and he was 80 grams, now he's 82.

Luckily, I have had sugar gliders for several years and I have a wonderful exotics vet that I know well and trust. He sees everything from bald eagles at wildlife rehabs, to zoo animals, to rescued baby possums. He'll be the one seeing Percy as well.

My sister also was owned by, (hobby) bred, and raised 22 parrots before she passed away. Ring necks, love birds, cockatiels, African grays, and conures. She had an entire room set up for them as an aviary and the birds all lived in harmony (most of the time). All except for one, the sassy and incredibly sweet little Quaker who ran the entire lower level of the house. She made me fall in love with quakers and was going to come to me, but I was serving in the military overseas when my sister passed and I was not allowed to bring Mika. The flock was all rehomed with pairs kept together. Mika was placed at a senior assisted living facility as a therapy bird where she gets all the attention she could hope for, and I am finally at a place in life with a partner who loves animals as much as I do and the time to devote to our little blue gremlin.

Our feather/fur family includes my little shih tzu, two laid back cats that think they're dogs, two female sugar gliders who are spoiled rotten, an American Eskimo and a Klee kai who are terrified of tiny Percy. It's a big "flock" but we have more than enough time and love to go around.

We're so excited an in love with our newest addition and we can't wait to see him grow. He still has feathers coming in and is currently sporting a teal mohawk lol. I'll add pictures once I get them loaded to a photo sharing site.

Well that's us!! Sorry so long!

-Percy's People

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! What a great group of babies you have! Looking forward to more pics of Percy and would love to see pics of everyone else as well:) Percy looks like a sweetie from your avatar pic:)
I'm so sorry about your sister's passing, but am glad Mika found a wonderful home.
So happy you joined us!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, and FTR your terrific intro ended too soon! :)

Condolences for the loss of your sister, her legacy for the love of birds lives on.

Percy seems so well adjusted, and the Quaker personality will keep you entertained for decades!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello back at ya!
I look forward to following your adventures with Percy. What a handsome fellow.
Welcome, glad you found us!

OP
Jaime1215

Jaime1215

Sep 9, 2017
Mobile, Alabama
Parrots
Thank you all so much for the warm welcomes! We are glad to be here and so thrilled to know and love Percy. I didn't know how to edit the post, so here are some photos that show off his stretch skills (which he does constantly to show off and get our attention) and his awesome mohawk lol

jaime1215-albums-percy-bird-picture18636-he-runs-around-doing-saying-stretch-because-gets-big-reaction-haha.jpg
jaime1215-albums-percy-bird-picture18633-rockin-mohawk.jpg
jaime1215-albums-percy-bird-picture18634-a.jpg
jaime1215-albums-percy-bird-picture18635-showing-off-his-stretch.jpg
jaime1215-albums-percy-bird-picture18632-sweetest-face.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, what a gorgeous boy he is! Percy looks like quite the character, he is overflowing with personality:)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
A warm welcome to Percy and his people! Thank you for the wonderful introduction!

I'm so very sorry to hear about your sister. A love for birds is a beautiful thing to pass on, I'm sure Percy would make your sister smile.

Percy is adorable, I love him! Sweet little blue quaker. Congratulations, you are going to love the adventure.

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Percy is so sweet, but is that picture taken outside? Never take your bird outside unrestrained, even with clipped wings. Also, his wing clip looks very severe and his nails look kinda sharp.

OP
Jaime1215

Jaime1215

Sep 9, 2017
Mobile, Alabama
Parrots
Hi FlyBirdiesFly,

No, we would never bring our baby outside regardless of the status of his wing clip. He is in a completely screened in porch where his daytime cage is. We don't even leave him on his play top out there unsupervised, and there is zero chance of his escape unless someone intentionally opens the screen door. I thought I had mentioned the screened porch in my OP, but thank you for the info. As far as his wing clip, we have only had him for two weeks, he came to us clipped like that. We won't be clipping his wings at all once his flight feathers come back in. The clip does make him unsteady, which is why I mentioned the second, smaller cage for him to sleep in until we are no longer concerned about him getting around the larger cage. His nails are currently his grip on life as his wings were cut too short, too young (IMO). I'll speak to my vet about them, but it's what he's using to hang on to things right now without that balance and it doesn't hurt when he walks on bare skin. Thank you so much for your concerns!

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
So glad to hear you won't be clipping his wings! As long as his nails aren't causing you to him any discomfort, you can probably leave them. Just be careful that his nails don't get caught in toys, fabric, or other things, as it's been known to happen.

KayKay58

Apr 25, 2018
Media
Albums
Central Texas, USA
Parrots
Monk Parakeet, aka, Quaker Parrot.
Hi, great to meet another Quaker "Parent". I got my Smalls when he was 8 weeks old, and through all the hand feedings and training, I wouldn't trade him for the world. They are awesome aren't they!
photo.php

KayKay58

Apr 25, 2018
Media
Albums
Central Texas, USA
Parrots
Monk Parakeet, aka, Quaker Parrot.
Hi from me and Smalls, I got him from the breeder when he was 8 weeks old, went through the hand feeding, and basic training, and he is now weaned at 14 weeks and talking. He says "What ya doin'" and for some reason, "Don't do it"... LOL, I think he picked that up when I watch my favorite t.v. show.. :D It has been a learning experience since he is my very first bird, and he has taught me a LOT!! :)
www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101...626546.-2207520000.1524668284.&type=3&theater

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Swooooooon!!!! I love Percy!

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister’s passing, you have my deepest condolences.

So many new quakers around! I will now crave a little gremlin of my own even more.

Although the Grey King here at home wouldn’t hear of it I’m sure!

Welcome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Welcome and congratulations on the new fid!! Percy is just gorgeous!!!

Most Reactions