Help! New bird owner

Tanya1069

May 22, 2023
Parrots
I have a goffin cockatoo
I acquired zazu because her owner had to be put in a home. Zazu is 32 year old goffin cockatoo and was never allowed out of her cage and fed only seed. I let her out everyday, and I started her on fruits and vegetables. Which she loves ā¤ļø. But how do I get her to stop snatching things from me? I can't give her anything small because I may be bitten. She loves head scratches and has become quite fond of me but does still nip every so often. Help!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

My green cheek will bite my finger tips when I give him a treat sometimes, especially when heā€™s too stimulated. When handing a parrot a treat, you hold it just in their reach, so, all they can physically grab is the treat. They canā€™t bite if the upper and lower mandible canā€™t connect.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums!

Does she tend to nip only when you are handing her treats or does it happen at other times too?

I know there are certain treats I can't hand my GCC - carrots for example - because she just gets excited and territorial over them. I give them to her on a stainless steel skewer.

Do you have a word or phrase you use consistently with her every time she nips? I try to teach my GCC the word "gentle" and say it to her whenever she nips.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I've heard good things about training a parrot to spoon feed when offering treats. I've never tried it, but I've heard it helps prevent nips.

Anyone have more information on this?

OP
Tanya1069

Tanya1069

May 22, 2023
Parrots
I have a goffin cockatoo
Welcome to the forums!

My green cheek will bite my finger tips when I give him a treat sometimes, especially when heā€™s too stimulated. When handing a parrot a treat, you hold it just in their reach, so, all they can physically grab is the treat. They canā€™t bite if the upper and lower mandible canā€™t connect.
I'm definitely going to try this. Thank you

OP
Tanya1069

Tanya1069

May 22, 2023
Parrots
I have a goffin cockatoo
Welcome to the forums!

Does she tend to nip only when you are handing her treats or does it happen at other times too?

I know there are certain treats I can't hand my GCC - carrots for example - because she just gets excited and territorial over them. I give them to her on a stainless steel skewer.

Do you have a word or phrase you use consistently with her every time she nips? I try to teach my GCC the word "gentle" and say it to her whenever she nips.
Unfortunately, you never know when she is going to bite. I don't hold her because I can't keep her on my forearm. She immediately runs to my shoulder. And I don't trust her that close to my face. Using "step up" sticks doesn't work. If you approach her with any object she freaks out. She definitely does know "up" tho.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Unfortunately, you never know when she is going to bite. I don't hold her because I can't keep her on my forearm. She immediately runs to my shoulder. And I don't trust her that close to my face. Using "step up" sticks doesn't work. If you approach her with any object she freaks out. She definitely does know "up" tho.
Wear a hoodie when playing with her. If she runs up your arm to your shoulder at least she won't be able to bite your ears or the sides of your face.

TheofficialParakeet

Mar 22, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Blue American Budgie - Female (Bluberry)
Blue Australian Budgie - Male (Mr. Squiggles)
Blue English Budgie - Male (Hendrix)
unfortunately, if your talking about toys and everyday items, that is a cockatoo thing. If you are talking about treats when training, try target and clicker training

OP
Tanya1069

Tanya1069

May 22, 2023
Parrots
I have a goffin cockatoo
Wear a hoodie when playing with her. If she runs up your arm to your shoulder at least she won't be able to bite your ears or the sides of your face.
Ok...so I tried the hoodie lol. She hates it and took it off my head! Lol.

OP
Tanya1069

Tanya1069

May 22, 2023
Parrots
I have a goffin cockatoo
Tie the string around your head. You can't let your bird injure you.
I'm pretty sure if I tied it, she just would have had a fit. I just don't hold her. She's fine with just being on her cage. She won't even get on the floor. The woman who owned her previously never let her out of her cage. Ever. And she's 32 years old. From what I understand, goffins only live to about 30 or 40.....

ShellyL

Feb 15, 2021
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Parrots
Black capped conures, Duffy and Rocky
Lilac Crowned Amazon, Gemi
Blue Fronted Amazon, Paco
Alexandrine Parrots, Worf & Dougie
Congo African Grey, Ozzy
Parakeet, Stormy
I'm pretty sure if I tied it, she just would have had a fit. I just don't hold her. She's fine with just being on her cage. She won't even get on the floor. The woman who owned her previously never let her out of her cage. Ever. And she's 32 years old. From what I understand, goffins only live to about 30 or 40.....
Will she go on a playstand? She may be ā€œfineā€ with just being on her cage but her life will be richer and more fulfilling if she realizes there is a safe/interesting world beyond the cage - and that she can be a part of it.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Will she go on a playstand? She may be ā€œfineā€ with just being on her cage but her life will be richer and more fulfilling if she realizes there is a safe/interesting world beyond the cage - and that she can be a part of it.
Her new life is certainly an improvement. I couldn't get my Goffin to sit on a t-stand. She would jump to the floor immediately, run over and try to climb all over me begging for cuddles and would bite me if I tired of it. It got real old. I wouldn't let her on my shoulder because she was too unpredictable and I liked my face unscarred.

Most Reactions