ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
I just recently posted a thing my birds stinky ā€œbreathā€ to which a few people showed concern so I made a vet appointment- he went this morning and she cleared his crop of old food and set him on an antibacterial med

well since then it seems like heā€™s completely changed - heā€™s quieter; very puffed and squinty. He still has an appetite but just now he was on me and i felt something wet and when i checked it was food - i think its regurgitation (ive never seen it)

im just worried about him and all the vets are closed. Heā€™s also been making this weird clicking sound ā€¦ but its not like him making it but coming from him

(first image is regurgitation; second is him earlier; video is the clicking and him just before posting this)

update: his nostrils are blocked - one more than the other.

Attachments

• IMG_8440.jpeg
    IMG_8440.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8442.png
    IMG_8442.png
    639.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8443.mov
    8 MB
Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I just recently posted a thing my birds stinky ā€œbreathā€ to which a few people showed concern so I made a vet appointment- he went this morning and she cleared his crop of old food and set him on an antibacterial med

well since then it seems like heā€™s completely changed - heā€™s quieter; very puffed and squinty. He still has an appetite but just now he was on me and i felt something wet and when i checked it was food - i think its regurgitation (ive never seen it)

im just worried about him and all the vets are closed. Heā€™s also been making this weird clicking sound ā€¦ but its not like him making it but coming from him

(first image is regurgitation; second is him earlier; video is the clicking and him just before posting this)

update: his nostrils are blocked - one more than the other.
Poor baby! It sounds like he needs to be seen ASAP. Stuff like this always seems to happen on a weekend, doesn't it? Did they flush out his crop at the vet? There can be complications from doing that. Is he getting worse? Is there any vet or animal hospital anywhere near you that sees emergency cases? I would have to drive almost three hours to get to a good vet hospital in Boston in event of a weekend emergency/urgency. Do you live anywhere near a large city where you might have access to an animal/avian ER?
Keep him warm (80s) in the meantime, and make sure he gets the antibiotics.

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure

(first image is regurgitation; second is him earlier; video is the clicking and him just before posting this
Poor baby! It sounds like he needs to be seen ASAP. Stuff like this always seems to happen on a weekend, doesn't it? Did they flush out his crop at the vet? There can be complications from doing that. Is he getting worse? Is there any vet or animal hospital anywhere near you that sees emergency cases? I would have to drive almost three hours to get to a good vet hospital in Boston in event of a weekend emergency/urgency. Do you live anywhere near a large city where you might have access to an animal/avian ER?
Keep him warm (80s) in the meantime, and make sure he gets the antibiotics.
they did clear his crop at the vet and was immediately making that noise once he was brought back to me - but i thought he was just shook up from it. he had his first dose of meds and its on an every other day dose. there are a few animal ers near by but im unsure if they take in exotics but was also unsure if this was dire enough or if the meds will kick in.

the reason I brought him to the vet was cause of a smell and there were no other symptoms and he seems to just have gone down hill within hours. but as i said hes still eating, flying, making some noise (but not the same amount).

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Oh no! Poor little guy! How is he doing now?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
they did clear his crop at the vet and was immediately making that noise once he was brought back to me - but i thought he was just shook up from it. he had his first dose of meds and its on an every other day dose. there are a few animal ers near by but im unsure if they take in exotics but was also unsure if this was dire enough or if the meds will kick in.

the reason I brought him to the vet was cause of a smell and there were no other symptoms and he seems to just have gone down hill within hours. but as i said hes still eating, flying, making some noise (but not the same amount).
You did the right thing getting his crop infection taken care of. I'd bring him back to the vet on Monday.

TulsiBlueVana

Oct 17, 2023
Media
Parrots
Tusli= Black-Capped Conure x1
awe šŸ˜Ÿ Iā€™m sorry. I donā€™t have any advice passed getting him to an ER if possible. Call and ask about exotics if youā€™re unsure because maybe they can recommend one nearby if they donā€™t take exotics? I am very lucky to have three with in 45 minutes of me. One is better than the other two and that one is the furthest but I would go if I needed to.

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
Oh no! Poor little guy! How is he doing now?
he seems a lot better - I took donna's suggestion and cranked on the heat. put him into a smaller room and added a space heater for him. plus his nose is now unclogged so I think the meds kicked in. but now that he's perked up from yesterday I'm not sure about bringing him back to the vet. I made an appt for tom morning. However, he just had that appt Saturday, meds the same day, now another appt Monday (tomorrow) and meds again. I'm worried it'll be too much stress for him in such a short time frame that he'll start plucking!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
he seems a lot better - I took donna's suggestion and cranked on the heat. put him into a smaller room and added a space heater for him. plus his nose is now unclogged so I think the meds kicked in. but now that he's perked up from yesterday I'm not sure about bringing him back to the vet. I made an appt for tom morning. However, he just had that appt Saturday, meds the same day, now another appt Monday (tomorrow) and meds again. I'm worried it'll be too much stress for him in such a short time frame that he'll start plucking!
I think if he continues to improve and doesn't have that "sick bird" look (fluffed up, squinty eyes, tail bobbing when breathing, noisy breathing, vomiting, funny looking poops, bad appetite, etc.) then I think you're probably okay with skipping the vet. BUT if he continues to look like a sick bird at all with any of these symptoms you should bring him in.

Personally, I would keep the appointment because birds are so good at hiding illness (he managed to hide his crop infection except for stinky breath) that by the time you get them to a vet it's often too late. I commend you for noticing his bad breath and taking it seriously because crop infections can be serious. He had his crop cleaned out at his last appointment and there is a small risk of perforating the crop during the procedure and that complication is what I would be concerned about if he is not recovering quickly.

I hope your baby continues to improve. You would be devastated to lose him so I would err on the side of caution and bring him in for a check.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think if he continues to improve and doesn't have that "sick bird" look (fluffed up, squinty eyes, tail bobbing when breathing, noisy breathing, vomiting, funny looking poops, bad appetite, etc.) then I think you're probably okay with skipping the vet. BUT if he continues to look like a sick bird at all with any of these symptoms you should bring him in.

Personally, I would keep the appointment because birds are so good at hiding illness (he managed to hide his crop infection except for stinky breath) that by the time you get them to a vet it's often too late. I commend you for noticing his bad breath and taking it seriously because crop infections can be serious. He had his crop cleaned out at his last appointment and there is a small risk of perforating the crop during the procedure and that complication is what I would be concerned about if he is not recovering quickly.

I hope your baby continues to improve. You would be devastated to lose him so I would err on the side of caution and bring him in for a check.
I don't think the stress of another vet appointment would cause plucking. You can reduce his stress by not seeming anxious yourself. Birds are sensitive to our emotions and can mirror our stress. He will handle it better if you act as unstressed as possible, smile, and give him lots of treats.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I don't think the stress of another vet appointment would cause plucking. You can reduce his stress by not seeming anxious yourself. Birds are sensitive to our emotions and can mirror our stress. He will handle it better if you act as unstressed as possible, smile, and give him lots of treats.
How is your sun conure doing today? Did you take him to the vet? Is he getting better? I always worry when another PF member has a sick bird. Please keep us updated

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hope your little guy is feeling better!

OP
E

ethanol

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Conure
How is your sun conure doing today? Did you take him to the vet? Is he getting better? I always worry when another PF member has a sick bird. Please keep us updated
i appreciate you checking up on him! we went to the vet and he was looking a lot better! hes back to his loud and funny self!

Most Reactions

Latest posts