Helping bird with preening?

Fauna

Dec 12, 2023
Parrots
Pineapple conure- Tiago
Two budgies- Edith & Azalea
My baby conure has little white pins on the top of his head and im wondering if theyre the ones i should attempt to help him out with. i added some pictures of his head :) (dont mind my messy floor. im wrapping stuff for christmas lol. Tiago is never on the floor!)

Attachments

• IMG_8844.jpeg
    IMG_8844.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8841.jpeg
    IMG_8841.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 15
Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
My baby conure has little white pins on the top of his head and im wondering if theyre the ones i should attempt to help him out with. i added some pictures of his head :) (dont mind my messy floor. im wrapping stuff for christmas lol. Tiago is never on the floor!)
I usually help my conure preen the top of his head and back of his head/neck, just because he can’t reach ( I only have one bird so he doesn’t have another bird to help him). I would try to preen one and watch his body language. Usually when my conure wants me to preen his he lays his head on my hand or leans his head into my fingers. There are days where I thought he wanted me to preen but corrects me with a squawk and a light nip.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I usually help my conure preen the top of his head and back of his head/neck, just because he can’t reach ( I only have one bird so he doesn’t have another bird to help him). I would try to preen one and watch his body language. Usually when my conure wants me to preen his he lays his head on my hand or leans his head into my fingers. There are days where I thought he wanted me to preen but corrects me with a squawk and a light nip.
When my budgie Rocky was a baby growing her first set of feathers she looked adorable but so uncomfortable literally covered in pinfeathers- they must itch! I bought a very soft baby toothbrush and I would "brush her hair" back and forth with the soft bristles. It really helped get the pinfeather sheaves (sheafs?) off. It may be easier since there are so many and you can avoid unwanted nips using a toothbrush.

Most Reactions

Latest posts