Hi, I'm new here and have a 3 week old IRN :) Question on gender..

sollyt29

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Hey guys, Iā€™m new here and also new to owning and INR as of 2 days ago
:)

I live in Dubai and there are many breeders here. I eventually found one that seemed the most trustworthy and also met my INRā€™s parents too which was great!

He had 3 baby chicks available between 2-3 weeks old but obviously didnā€™t know the gender of any of them. I was really after a male but of course had to just pick one and hope for the best. Iā€™ve named him Kenny (yes, after Kenny from South Park!!) all is well and heā€™s settled in nicely and eats very well. Okay so onto my question, I picked Kenny because I read that the males are usually smaller and have smaller feet, but that could just be to him hatching last and being a few days younger than the others - I know. I know itā€™s near impossible to tell but I have a few pictures and wanted to see if any experts here could tell the gender from the shape of my INRs head etc. if itā€™s a female itā€™s fine, I will love and take care of her either way but any help would be greatly appreciated! The pictures with the pink circles are the bird I picked out of the 3. I have a feeling that the male is the one on the bottom right as his head is more bulkier and not as round as mine but I read this after I had already got my INR so didnā€™t pick that one. Anyway, pics are below along with some nice ones of him at home! Thanks again everyone and look forward to hearing back!
:))

Sollyt29

Attachments

• photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (1).jpeg
    photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (1).jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 65
  • photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (2).jpeg
    photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (2).jpeg
    50.8 KB · Views: 64
  • photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (3).jpeg
    photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (3).jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 67
  • photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (4).jpeg
    photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (4).jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 65
  • photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (5).jpeg
    photo_2022-03-08_11-30-05 (5).jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 72

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hey guys, Iā€™m new here and also new to owning and INR as of 2 days ago
:)

I live in Dubai and there are many breeders here. I eventually found one that seemed the most trustworthy and also met my INRā€™s parents too which was great!

He had 3 baby chicks available between 2-3 weeks old but obviously didnā€™t know the gender of any of them. I was really after a male but of course had to just pick one and hope for the best. Iā€™ve named him Kenny (yes, after Kenny from South Park!!) all is well and heā€™s settled in nicely and eats very well. Okay so onto my question, I picked Kenny because I read that the males are usually smaller and have smaller feet, but that could just be to him hatching last and being a few days younger than the others - I know. I know itā€™s near impossible to tell but I have a few pictures and wanted to see if any experts here could tell the gender from the shape of my INRs head etc. if itā€™s a female itā€™s fine, I will love and take care of her either way but any help would be greatly appreciated! The pictures with the pink circles are the bird I picked out of the 3. I have a feeling that the male is the one on the bottom right as his head is more bulkier and not as round as mine but I read this after I had already got my INR so didnā€™t pick that one. Anyway, pics are below along with some nice ones of him at home! Thanks again everyone and look forward to hearing back!
:))

Sollyt29
Welcome! Kenny is really cute! The only way to tell its gender is DNA test. An avian/exotic vet will be able to help you with that :)

In case you haven't found one yet..:

Baylee83

Mar 7, 2022
Parrots
The other way is to wait 18 months for him to get the ring if itā€™s a male.. if itā€™s female she wonā€™t have a ring. If you feel you canā€™t wait then go with the DNA testing.

OP
sollyt29

sollyt29

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Thanks for the responses guys, I am aware of all of the above especially the DNA testing, however I did assume that the baby INR's with squarer/bulkier heads and more prominent beaks, were males and just thought maybe there may be a pro here that could give their assumption based on the pictures i provided :) I'll end up getting a DNA test eventually but when its a bit older, as don't want to stress him out at the vets by them trying to draw some blood for the test. Hopefully a good breeder comes across this post and can give their opinion! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thanks for the responses guys, I am aware of all of the above especially the DNA testing, however I did assume that the baby INR's with squarer/bulkier heads and more prominent beaks, were males and just thought maybe there may be a pro here that could give their assumption based on the pictures i provided :) I'll end up getting a DNA test eventually but when its a bit older, as don't want to stress him out at the vets by them trying to draw some blood for the test. Hopefully a good breeder comes across this post and can give their opinion! :)
First, welcome to the forum!
I'll move your post to the Breeding & Raising forum so that a breeder may see it.
I have a friend who bred Alexes for years, and while she guessed their sex for herself, she was proved wrong more than she was right about the sex.

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
I think it is impossible to visually identify gender at this age. I'm only aware of waiting for the ring to come in, or not.

Very adorable and very, very young chick you have. Usually not weaned until 12 weeks. He will need a lot of attention and care over the next few months.

OP
sollyt29

sollyt29

Mar 8, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
I think it is impossible to visually identify gender at this age. I'm only aware of waiting for the ring to come in, or not.

Very adorable and very, very young chick you have. Usually not weaned until 12 weeks. He will need a lot of attention and care over the next few months.
I completely agree with you, he is young, 3 weeks to be precise. Luckily i work from home se can give it the TLC it needs during this fragile time. Its eating its formula extremely well and is getting stronger by the hour :)

Most Reactions