How bad is second hand smoke for birds?

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
I know that itā€™s bad for them but lately since I got my cockatiel things have been a bit stressful and I relapsed on my smoking and vaping habit, I donā€™t do it around the bird at all but I wanna know how bad is it for them? I do it in the bathroom which has separate exhaust ventilation, Iā€™m wondering is if itā€™s as bad as Teflon (which Iā€™ve removed from my home) where it can kill them from just a whiff from meters away?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Iā€™m sorry youā€™re dealing with some stressful issues. Unfortunately, nicotine is highly toxic to birds. The article I linked is a bit long but if youā€™re interested in reading it, it goes into detail about why tobacco products can be so harmful to birds. Are there other alternatives like nicotine gum that you could try?

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
Iā€™m sorry youā€™re dealing with some stressful issues. Unfortunately, nicotine is highly toxic to birds. The article I linked is a bit long but if youā€™re interested in reading it, it goes into detail about why tobacco products can be so harmful to birds. Are there other alternatives like nicotine gum that you could try?

Most of my usage is cannabis related, reading further long period of exposure of even very little smoke can be dangerous so I think Iā€™ll start smoking outside as I have a balcony and wash my hands before handling the bird and his stuff, Iā€™m trying my best to quit.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Most of my usage is cannabis related, reading further long period of exposure of even very little smoke can be dangerous so I think Iā€™ll start smoking outside as I have a balcony and wash my hands before handling the bird and his stuff, Iā€™m trying my best to quit.
Sounds like a good plan to smoke outside . I wish you the best of luck ā¤ļø

bocabill

Nov 27, 2020
Media
Boca Raton, FL
Parrots
African Grey male (since 1981) and two Scarlet Macaw sibling brothers (since May 2020)
Parrots have very delicate little respiratory systems. Please do not allow any second hand smoke near your baby or it might kill him. Think of second hand smoke being equivalent to sending someone to the gas chamber. Not good.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Biggest reason I stopped smoking was even though I did not smoke in the house my closet and clothes were smelling like cigarettes.
If I could smell it so can the birds.

I just vape now and not around my flock.

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
Biggest reason I stopped smoking was even though I did not smoke in the house my closet and clothes were smelling like cigarettes.
If I could smell it so can the birds.

I just vape now and not around my flock.
Iā€™m thinking of switching to vapes as well and doing it far away from him, I donā€™t want anything to happen to him, heā€™s just a baby

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have lost my brother and his wife, both my parents and all my aunts and uncles to the darkness of smoking. So, even if you elect to smoke outside, just remember that it will at some point kill you.

Who will your Parrot stay with then?

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
ALL air fumes can be deadly to birds. Smoke, vape, fireplaces, perfumes, spray cleaners, hairspray, burning oils, incense, fragrant heated oils, air fresheners, teflon pans, oven cleaner, etc. If you must smoke, DEFINITELY smoke outside always & stay away from all the things I listed above. IF you are cooking or doing anything like cleaning where you are going to have any sort of smell or vapors or smoke, make sure you always have a stove hood on & windows open. until the place is aired out & hopefully the bird will be in a separate room w/the door closed. I would invest in a good air cleaner (the kind w/hepa filters) too. I use mine daily. They help tremendously for feather dander/bird dust in the air, amongst all the other air pollutants.

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
I have lost my brother and his wife, both my parents and all my aunts and uncles to the darkness of smoking. So, even if you elect to smoke outside, just remember that it will at some point kill you.

Who will your Parrot stay with then?
Itā€™s a cockatiel and Iā€™m only 18 and cannabis smoke is nowhere as deadly as tobacco smoke so Iā€™m not worried about it outliving me, though I will keep this in mind if I get a bird later or one with a longer lifespan

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
ALL air fumes can be deadly to birds. Smoke, vape, fireplaces, perfumes, spray cleaners, hairspray, burning oils, incense, fragrant heated oils, air fresheners, teflon pans, oven cleaner, etc. If you must smoke, DEFINITELY smoke outside always & stay away from all the things I listed above. IF you are cooking or doing anything like cleaning where you are going to have any sort of smell or vapors or smoke, make sure you always have a stove hood on & windows open. until the place is aired out & hopefully the bird will be in a separate room w/the door closed. I would invest in a good air cleaner (the kind w/hepa filters) too. I use mine daily. They help tremendously for feather dander/bird dust in the air, amongst all the other air pollutants.
Weā€™ve already switched all pans from Teflon to cast iron and donā€™t use stuff like waffle irons or air fryers, weā€™re careful about aerosols and cleaners and have switched to dwan soap based cleaning solutions and use them away from the bird. The only issue is the smoking/vaping and so far from doing it outside it doesnā€™t seem to irritate him, he has a vet checkup to in a few months so weā€™ll find out for sure.

bocabill

Nov 27, 2020
Media
Boca Raton, FL
Parrots
African Grey male (since 1981) and two Scarlet Macaw sibling brothers (since May 2020)
I wouldnā€™t confine humans to an environment with any type of smoke and humans have a more robust respiratory system than birds do.

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
I wouldnā€™t confine humans to an environment with any type of smoke and humans have a more robust respiratory system than birds do.
Obviously if itā€™s a smoker lounge 24/7 itā€™s not gonna be great for anyone, but I donā€™t smoke that much and whenever I do, I do it outside or in the closed bathroom which has separate ventilation. Itā€™s a fact of life some people are gonna smoke, if you think that me smoking as far away from him as possible is a good enough reason to rehome him then idk what else to tell you

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
While I was working I spent some time working in clean rooms working on space hardware.
This ment dressing up in what is commonly known as a ā€œbunny suit ā€œ.
The rules for smokers was.
After smoking a cigarette you had to wait 15 minutes before reentering the clean room to be sure you were no longer exhaling residual smoke.
So.
Is your bird more or less sensitive to smoke than a satellite?
IDK.
at the time no rules existed for vaping.
this was another reason why I quit smoking and switched to vape.

I believe I could quit vaping and ez er than smoking.
I say this cuz I have had my mode box break down for a day or two without climbing the walls.
I just like it.

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Itā€™s a cockatiel and Iā€™m only 18 and cannabis smoke is nowhere as deadly as tobacco smoke so Iā€™m not worried about it outliving me, though I will keep this in mind if I get a bird later or one with a longer lifespan
It doesn't matter what kind of smoke (or other pollutant in the air) it is because bird's have totally different respiratory systems from humans or other mammals like dogs & cats. They don't have lungs, in the way that we do. They have air sacs & don't have a diaphragm for inhaling & exhaling like us, so it's a one way flow. They have muscles at their ribs to help "inhale & exhale", but it's not the same as a diaphragm. That's why they are super sensitive to anything in the air. The air sacs stay filled always & the tiny capillaries in them allows there to be continual absorption of large amounts of oxygen to accomodate their very high metabolisms for flying, etc. Any air pollutants get instantly absorbed into their bodies, which is why they can die very quickly from cleaning fumes, smoke, etc. This is why they used canaries inside of coal mines. If the canary died, they new toxic fumes were there much quicker that they couldn't necessarily smell & they should evacuate ASAP.

bocabill

Nov 27, 2020
Media
Boca Raton, FL
Parrots
Obviously if itā€™s a smoker lounge 24/7 itā€™s not gonna be great for anyone, but I donā€™t smoke that much and whenever I do, I do it outside or in the closed bathroom which has separate ventilation. Itā€™s a fact of life some people are gonna smoke, if you think that me smoking as far away from him as possible is a good enough reason to rehome him then idk what else to tell you
Not re-home him. Just smoke outside and not inside with him if you really love him and donā€™t want to cause him any harm.

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
Not re-home him. Just smoke outside and not inside with him if you really love him and donā€™t want to cause him any harm.
Iā€™m already doing that, I just vape in the bathroom and I seal the door with towels before doing so

OP
N

N0va

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
None
Iā€™m already doing that, I just vape in the bathroom and I seal the door with towels before doing so
Just to be clear here, my bathroom is in a different room as my bird and it has a whole other vent system, I wait and wash before touching him, and I donā€™t ever even accidentally puff near him, always in the sealed off bathroom. Iā€™ve stopped smoking in the bathroom since I read how dangerous even small amounts of smoke can be and and only do it outside now, donā€™t know what else you want me to do

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not sure who you are getting your information from, but the comments from my Heart Profession disagrees with you! Its is your life and your pets, its your choice, may you choose wisely!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts