How much millet/peanut butter/birdy bread?

NWQuakers

Jan 6, 2013
Everson, WA
Parrots
Lucky, Quaker, abt 18/male?
Previous birds: 2 Quakers, 2 budgies, Nanday conure, Indian ringneck, 2 tiels, Red Lory, 300+ finches.
I'm trying to work on foraging and enrichment with Lucky & Aubrey but concerned about over-treating them.

Right now I have a rope & stick ladder from cage-top to ceiling that I clip a millet spray (or 1/2 a big one) to each morning. I also hang a pine cone with some peanut butter tucked in, and a bamboo foraging toy with bits of dried fruit, nut pieces, millet nuggets, in with the shreddy fibers.

They have access to this area for a short time in the morning, and a few hours after I get home from work. They seem to enjoy climbing and snacking, but I don't want to over do it.

They also get about a 3/4" cube of birdy bread (muffin mix, sweetpotato, nuts, dried fruit, veggies/pellets) with a teaspoon of smoothie (homemade kefir, banana, frozen berries) in a treat dish in their cage each morning. I toss the mostly empty millet stems on their cage bottom each day, so they get a few seeds that way too.

Their main food is Kaytee natural kibble (tiel-sized) with some Roudybush mixed in. They like it, so I'm hesitant to experiment with other brands when I can buy this locally.

Most Reactions

Latest posts