How much salt is OK?

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Pretty much everything that we hoomans eat has some small amount of salt in it. My Amazon gets a small piece of bread, about an inch square, every morning with his meds in it. He waits for it anxiously. It's about the only thing I can be sure he won't drop on the floor. But all baked goods have a bit of salt in them.. I wonder if it's OK...

Real reason for this post though is that I found a box of oyster crackers in my cupboard that my brother Jim had bought. I don't recall ever seeing him eat them, so I wonder if he got them as treats for the bird. All natural, non GMO it lists simple ingredients: "Unbleached wheat flour, water, canola oil, cane sugar, salt, yeast and baking soda." Seems like a couple crackers in Amy's bowl won't hurt him. Right?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
A cracker here and there, ok!

But therein lies the problem: a piece of bread here, a few crackers thereā€¦it adds up and sneaks up on you! Thatā€™s why I personally would pick one and stick with it, once a day.

My Parker gets sodium enhanced treats. Not often, but he gets these Maryā€™s Gone Crackers super seed crackers. Good ingredients but list salt in a couple places. If I were giving 3+ per day, Iā€™d be concerned. But itā€™s more like one cracker per week, if heā€™s lucky. Occasionally a nip of bread, etc. but itā€™s not with every meal and certainly not every day.

Rein it in, my friend! Amazons can develop heart issues, atherosclerosis especially. Donā€™t want to take unnecessary risks :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts