I guess Zilla and I have a new addition to our flock!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm glad you were able to find the little guy and give him a good home! I hope one day him and miss Zilla will even become buddies;)

Or at least, the new bird will acknowledge Zilla is the boss of the household (because quakers have no attitude problems either) and defer to the superior being in the household...

Then they can pretend to ignore each other...

Unless someone touches something that isn't theirs...

(Not that something like THAT would ever happen...)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Quakers were illegal in California, so I haven't got much experience with them. (Only played with one. Plus the one we found when we were out looking for Tusk. He was sweet, and lost, so... can't really go by that.)

Really have to defer the behavior stuff on this one to someone more experienced than me.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Zilla already has an "issue" with him and she hasn't even seen him yet! She screams every time I go down the hallway now (even if I am going to my room cause I might be going to his across the hall from mine)

She hasn't had to share me with another bird yet, so I'm sure this will make for fun times!

As far as she is concerned EVERYTHING is hers, and that includes me! So if he dares to touch me in front of her she just might take offense.

LaurieC

Oct 24, 2014
Zigzag, OR
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Maverick),
Cockatiel (Tweak),
Sun Conure (Jack)
Greeting from a fellow Oregonian (Welches area up by Mt. Hood), and congratulations on the new addition to your flock!

I had a similar experience 13 years ago when my husband came across a cockatiel in the woods in the Sandy River Gorge area. She landed on him and he brought her home. Her previous owner never claimed her, and she proceeded to be a wonderful and devoted companion until she passed away several months ago. I hope that you have an equally great relationship with your new foundling.

As for names, I think that "Kismet" has a nice ring to it.

AJBirds

Apr 9, 2015
Parrots
Pixie - Hahn's Macaw
Such a moving story, but I'm so glad you're his, now.
What a horrible man.
Names... Quake?

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
The few Quakers I've met have been cage territorial, so that may be why he's acting like a Rottweiler. Hopefully away from the cage he'll be better when you get to that point.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
The few Quakers I've met have been cage territorial, so that may be why he's acting like a Rottweiler. Hopefully away from the cage he'll be better when you get to that point.

Hopefully, but I'm sure me laughing at his antics isn't helping. Probly also isn't helping that such an active bird has had to be kept in a super small cage I wouldn't even put a tiny parrotlete in. I will have a new cage on Sunday. I was going to have to rearrange bills and buy one on Friday along with vet bills and bloodwork for the little booger, but someone just loaned me one I can pick up on Sunday. This way I can save some money and get the cage I really want!

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
We have long suspected that's how we ended up with our Clyde. He showed up on our bird feeder (no leg band, though) and yet there was no lost ad, no flyers around the neighborhood, and he was terrified of hands. It took a long while to gently teach him that hands won't hurt him and now, of course, years later, he's all over it. But at the time, I decided someone must have tossed him out, most likely exactly that sort of scenario. Cut off the leg band or have the vet do it, write down the info so you know his hatch date and could track down his breeder if necessary, and if they come round asking for him back, profess ignorance. All Quakers look alike. They can't prove he was ever theirs.

Most Reactions