I need help with taming my 2 Budgies

AzzyAzrael

Nov 28, 2023
Parrots
Parakeet(2) and a Quaker parrot
I have a male budgie about 2 to 3 years old, and a female who's almost a year old. I've had my male (bluey) for a few years and have never been able to tame him, but will eat out of my hand. My female (Saturn) I got a month ago since my other female died, she does not like me at all but comfortable enough around me. I want to be able to get them out of their cage but I want to tame them before I do. They are on the same cage and I have tried taming bluey multiple times but I failed. Any tips?

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I have a male budgie about 2 to 3 years old, and a female who's almost a year old. I've had my male (bluey) for a few years and have never been able to tame him, but will eat out of my hand. My female (Saturn) I got a month ago since my other female died, she does not like me at all but comfortable enough around me. I want to be able to get them out of their cage but I want to tame them before I do. They are on the same cage and I have tried taming bluey multiple times but I failed. Any tips?
Taming a budgie is not easy especially when they already have each other for company and we're not hand raised.
You can try to clip their wings partially so they depend on you more, spend heaps of time with them, talking to them heaps, have them eat out of your hand.
I don't think you will ever fully tame them but if you can get them to eat from your hand then your doing well.
Good luck

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Taming a budgie is not easy especially when they already have each other for company and we're not hand raised.
You can try to clip their wings partially so they depend on you more, spend heaps of time with them, talking to them heaps, have them eat out of your hand.
I don't think you will ever fully tame them but if you can get them to eat from your hand then your doing well.
Good luck
It will be very difficult to get your two budgies tame enough to fly over and hang out with you, especially since you've had the male for a long time and he still wasn't that tame. The new female will have no reason to seek out your company since she has Bluey. That doesn't mean you can't let them out of their cage to fly around in a bird safe room (supervised if course). Just leave the cage door open while you're in the room and put a millet spray on top of the cage. Sooner or later they will want to come out to get the treat. I would clip their wings slightly so they can still fly but not too fast or too high. This way you will have an easier time getting them back into the cage if they won't go back in themselves. When I say a slight wing trim I mean take between 1/2 inch to 1 inch off the length of the long flight feathers. They will still fly, I promise you. Don't ever trim just one wing and don't cut any more than this off the flight feathers. You want them to be able to fly as birds are supposed to do- just not as strongly.

OP
A

AzzyAzrael

Nov 28, 2023
Parrots
It will be very difficult to get your two budgies tame enough to fly over and hang out with you, especially since you've had the male for a long time and he still wasn't that tame. The new female will have no reason to seek out your company since she has Bluey. That doesn't mean you can't let them out of their cage to fly around in a bird safe room (supervised if course). Just leave the cage door open while you're in the room and put a millet spray on top of the cage. Sooner or later they will want to come out to get the treat. I would clip their wings slightly so they can still fly but not too fast or too high. This way you will have an easier time getting them back into the cage if they won't go back in themselves. When I say a slight wing trim I mean take between 1/2 inch to 1 inch off the length of the long flight feathers. They will still fly, I promise you. Don't ever trim just one wing and don't cut any more than this off the flight feathers. You want them to be able to fly as birds are supposed to do- just not as strongly.
Saturn's wings were already clipped when I got her, and she can still partially fly, but Bluey on the other hand had always been flying and has not had clipped wings, I would clip them enough so they can still fly but I can't get him, since he won't trust me. How would I do that, besides hand feeding them millet.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Budgies are not known to be very cuddly birds. Most of my budgies have never been very tame. If you can get them to eat from your hand that’s great! My advice is to enjoy your birds just as they are; as beautiful, funny, flying little gems!

OP
A

AzzyAzrael

Nov 28, 2023
Parrots
Budgies are not known to be very cuddly birds. Most of my budgies have never been very tame. If you can get them to eat from your hand that’s great! My advice is to enjoy your birds just as they are; as beautiful, funny, flying little gems!
Ok, thanks you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts