Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It's about animals that kinda have these powers. But they are built off the bond and training of the trainer..lol it's a long story but it's a compliment!

Thank you so much, you are too kind:) Thank you for explaining it, too!

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi I also agree on NOT starving your bird. I recommend on just sitting next to it’s cage for a while every day. Then you can start by feeding a little millet stick to it from outside it’s cage with your hand then slowly move your hand forward toward the bird when it gets comfortable with you feeding it. :) I once had a pair of cockatiel. Mango (f) pikachu (m) A Trick with seeing if male or female. Females have yellow spots under her wings and males don’t, I mean, it’s not 100% but still worth a try.

Sama

Jul 14, 2021
Australia
Parrots
Amazons, eclectus, indian ring necks, cockatiels
I’ve had my cockatiel for about 4 years her name is lance(we thought she was a mail for the first three years) but she is terrified of hands. I don’t know if the care takers at the pet store traumatized her but she’s always been deathly terrified of hands. I was wondering if there’s anyway I could help her realize me and my family aren’t a threat.
For me It is hard to starving any bird to tame it .it better way to open bird cage daily to let him outvof the cage in your room and talking softly with bird , give some green vegetables , millet sprays, make all cockatiels happy . Need time to going better and better .

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
One day without food is not starving your bird... 🤣😂

Birds are resilient, in the wild they can go days without food, even weeks... 😌

So yea, just one day is not the cruel starvation torcher some of you are claiming...😌

All your doing is waiting until the bird is hungry before offering it food from your hand... It works... 😉

Yeah, so, we had a beloved cockatiel who died from catastrophic weight loss, and it happened very quickly and was likely related to what had seemed at the time to be a fairly benign diet change - we will never know for sure, as the necropsy only showed a lack of fat reserves and no indication of disease. You can read about it; its somewhere in the Bereavement forum. And all we did then was eliminate seeds entirely from his diet without a gradual transition - we didn't fail to offer food, which is what you are suggesting.

This kind of misinformation is incredibly dangerous and harmful. The smug/snarky emojis are not helping your case. Also, confinement without food or water is a misdemeanor in many states, so its illegal on top of everything else.

OP, some birds do not like hands for a variety of reasons. Will your little guy step up on a dowel or perch? Some folks have had great success with birds who are hand-shy in training them with alternative tools like that. Does she land anywhere else near you or on you, or does she avoid you and your family entirely?

Cockatiels tend to be very social animals, and while it will still require a bit of work on your part, there is no reason to think your little bird won't come around with time.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
A cockatiel will not die from one day without food.
A cockatiel won't even starve from one day without food or get sick.
A cockatiel will simply get hungry in one day without food. No big deal.

In the morning take out its bowl and put your hand there with fresh seed. Use a calm voice to talk to it.
For some birds that's all that's required. Job done

If not then try again at lunch and dinner. The longer you leave your hand in the cage the better chance you have. Before the end of the day most birds will be eating from your hand.
Congratulations the bird now knows the hand that feeds it. You can now start to handle it and feed it normally.

I know this is safe and effective cos ive tamed many aviary budgies and cockatiels this way. Those birds are all doing fine and the owners are greatful.
It makes me happy seeing them all happy. 😌

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
*Personal opinion, not acting as a moderator*

@Free as a bird you seem hellbent on proving you're right, and clearly reject the possibility that your method is antiquated and barbaric. Virtually every single person that has replied to you disagrees with you, many of which have decades of knowledge and experience. There are better ways. Your defense is invariably "it works" and "the birds didn't die." Sorry, that's not something to base a glowing endorsement on. Seriously, just because an old school technique "works" doesn't mean that's how it should be done. By your standards, starving and beating a dog into submission it is a good way to train. Yes, it may work, but I hope we can all agree that it's cruel and not acceptable treatment of an animal. ANY animal. The end does not justify the means.

My sincere apologies to the OP that your thread has been hijacked by this conversation.

Most Reactions