I need ideas on what to do for my last year with the little guys (preferably something outdoor-ish)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I will be going to collage in a couple years, but I will also be taking a gap year right after I graduate. My birds will all be seniors or nearing seniors then (if not dead), and I really want to do something cool with them for my gap year. I'm just not sure what I should do. I definitely want to get them out of the room they're in right now. While it is pretty awesome for them, it doesn't have nearly as much natural light as I'd like them to have, and it doesn't have enough space for them to do large laps/zoomies. They have a large double flight cage without the divider in, it's around 4.5 - 5 feet wide I think.

I just want to give them more time to be birds, and make their last years on this planet as awesome as possible. I am asking about this way in advance, because I will likely need to budget and save money for whatever we end up doing. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks! Side note: I want them to be able to see/be in nature as much as possible. They really enjoy long walks in the forest (in a carrier) and looking out the window in their room (it's their favorite spot).

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
I know there's bird harnesses and stuff maybe you could get them and let them be free on some walks with a leash and harness seems Cliche but if it works it works

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I know there's bird harnesses and stuff maybe you could get them and let them be free on some walks with a leash and harness seems Cliche but if it works it works
I can't do that, most budgie harnesses aren't safe, and there are lots of raptors in my area. I was thinking of doing something more for them. Maybe move out for a bit so they can have more space to fly.

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I will be going to collage in a couple years, but I will also be taking a gap year right after I graduate. My birds will all be seniors or nearing seniors then (if not dead), and I really want to do something cool with them for my gap year. I'm just not sure what I should do. I definitely want to get them out of the room they're in right now. While it is pretty awesome for them, it doesn't have nearly as much natural light as I'd like them to have, and it doesn't have enough space for them to do large laps/zoomies. They have a large double flight cage without the divider in, it's around 4.5 - 5 feet wide I think.

I just want to give them more time to be birds, and make their last years on this planet as awesome as possible. I am asking about this way in advance, because I will likely need to budget and save money for whatever we end up doing. Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks! Side note: I want them to be able to see/be in nature as much as possible. They really enjoy long walks in the forest (in a carrier) and looking out the window in their room (it's their favorite spot).
Do you have any space outdoors for an aviary? They would probably love to spend a summer enjoying the fresh air, sunlight, and lots of room to fly around. You could furnish it with small, bird safe live trees and shrubs. For them it would be as close to nature as you can get without risking them flying away or getting killed by a predator.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Do you have any space outdoors for an aviary? They would probably love to spend a summer enjoying the fresh air, sunlight, and lots of room to fly around. You could furnish it with small, bird safe live trees and shrubs. For them it would be as close to nature as you can get without risking them flying away or getting killed by a predator.
I do have an aviary, but it’s not in an ideal location. I definitely want to get them out there, but then there’s the issue of what to do in the winter (sub-zero and up to three feet of snow)

Most Reactions

Latest posts