I’m scared! My budgie isn’t molting but not himself. Returned back home. Parents had to babysit. Hes so happy then looks miserable. His toe injury?

Dunkinsmama

Dec 19, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet male
IMG_2016.jpeg
IMG_2021.png
IMG_1542.jpeg
IMG_1544.jpeg
Hi everyone. I seriously need advice. My Dunkin (budgie) went to stay with parents new baby budgie to help tame him and see if he liked companionship. He didn’t like it (he’s five) and wanted me. My parents told me two or three weeks ago his toe got stuck in the fridge door (only time he squawked) I ran there to check him. His toe nail was smaller and reddish. I told them to look for those obvious signs. He was happy and fine. So many factors. Dunkin returns home overwhelmed with so much joy then after a week or more acting that molting poofy way. Lethargic. Head not molting. I checked his toe and this is how it looks (pic attatched). Is this him
Healing? Self caring with grooming? After two weeks he was over the moon. Now he’s miserable. BUT I don’t think he misses his friend. Kinda annoyed him. We DO have dogs. One he knew well. They got along perfectly with chaperone in case but she’s lazy and sweet. The new dog Dunkin knew for quite a while but now the dog is getting more curious. So is this mental? His toe?
I do my loving routine with him and he snaps out of it and grooms me etc and sings BUT I heard they act that way and normal often while they’re still sick. Included pics of fridge in case anyone else had this experience . Thanks on behalf of myself and Dunkin 😔
IMG_1542.jpeg
IMG_1544.jpeg

Last edited:

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
So sorry to hear your little guy isn’t himself. The injured toe looks like it’s healing well, so I don’t think that’s an issue. Is he eating well? It’s just possible that he is simply a bit exhausted after a very busy/ stressful couple of weeks and now that he’s home he can finally chill out. If he’s losing weight or not eating, that in combination with his behavior would be concerning. I hope he regains his energy soon. ❤️

OP
D

Dunkinsmama

Dec 19, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet male
So sorry to hear your little guy isn’t himself. The injured toe looks like it’s healing well, so I don’t think that’s an issue. Is he eating well? It’s just possible that he is simply a bit exhausted after a very busy/ stressful couple of weeks and now that he’s home he can finally chill out. If he’s losing weight or not eating, that in combination with his behavior would be concerning. I hope he regains his energy soon. ❤️
Thank you. And thanks for your reply. I’m happy to know he’s healing. ❤️‍🩹 he is eating normal. He sees me eat and wants my food and doesn’t get any lol. He’s playing and nipping on the floor for food. More or less he’s himself. Just molt signs without molt. I’m just scared because I heard they act “normal” even when they’re (heaven forbid) ill. I see no warning signs. His nostril is a little stuffed but he’s breathing perfectly normal and steam helps him when he’s in bathroom “sauna” shower. Or he sneezes it out. Totally know it’s not that. He’s got high energy when he doesn’t want the bath enough to run and chirp at me that he doesn’t like it. But he trusts me. All in all he’s lethargic. Tired. Sleepy. But when he does he sleeps and is always puffed out. I appreciate you.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
As jcas mentioned, weigh is one of the best ways to gauge health, because you are right, they hid signs of illness right up to the point where they are REALLY sick. But they will lose weight when sick too, so get a digital kitchen scale, a T stand and weigh him a few times a week, I keep a log of it. A drop of more then 3-5% means there is a problem. With small parrots, thats more like 3%.

OP
D

Dunkinsmama

Dec 19, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet male
As jcas mentioned, weigh is one of the best ways to gauge health, because you are right, they hid signs of illness right up to the point where they are REALLY sick. But they will lose weight when sick too, so get a digital kitchen scale, a T stand and weigh him a few times a week, I keep a log of it. A drop of more than 3-5% means there is a problem. With small parrots, thats more like 3%.
I appreciate that idea very much. I do have that sort of scale. I’ll definitely do as you suggested for my little guy. Thanks so much to you 🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts