Intelligence of Cockatoos compared to cats and dogs

T-Bird

Jan 23, 2024
Media
Parrots
Had a Citron Crested cockatoo and have a Yellow Naped Amazon
Which do you guys feel are smarter-Cockatoos or cats and dogs?
IM000111.JPG

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
The species are so different that it seems pretty difficult to compare them . I’ve never owned a Cockatoo but I’ve had lots of dogs and cats and several birds. Intelligence (which of course is always measured against yet another species: humans) varies greatly from individual to individual and from breed to breed. My current dog is an Australian Shepherd and she is crazy smart. I don’t know if she can recognize herself in the mirror like birds seem able to do, but she has demonstrated an understanding of sequence of events, passage of time, and she has a huge vocabulary. Is she smarter than a Cockatoo? I think that really depends on the task they are being asked to perform. On some tasks, the bird would do better and on some the dog would. What do you think? 🙂

OP
T

T-Bird

Jan 23, 2024
Media
Parrots
Had a Citron Crested cockatoo and have a Yellow Naped Amazon
The species are so different that it seems pretty difficult to compare them . I’ve never owned a Cockatoo but I’ve had lots of dogs and cats and several birds. Intelligence (which of course is always measured against yet another species: humans) varies greatly from individual to individual and from breed to breed. My current dog is an Australian Shepherd and she is crazy smart. I don’t know if she can recognize herself in the mirror like birds seem able to do, but she has demonstrated an understanding of sequence of events, passage of time, and she has a huge vocabulary. Is she smarter than a Cockatoo? I think that really depends on the task they are being asked to perform. On some tasks, the bird would do better and on some the dog would. What do you think? 🙂
Well, Have you ever read about or seen videos about Alex the African Grey?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Well, Have you ever read about or seen videos about Alex the African Grey?
Yes! He was amazing! I was recently reading an article on animal intelligence and they focused almost exclusively on chimps and apes. I was thinking, “ hey, what about Irene Pepperberg and Alex?!”

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Generally speaking I think dogs are smarter than parrots but I think some of our parrots (including cockys) are smarter than cats

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Just as in humans, where some are brilliant and some as smart as a rock, so too in the animal world. If we are talking about the smartest individuals in each species, hands down parrots. Their problem solving skills are sometimes jaw dropping. But on the other hand dogs, showing that unique ability to anticipate and care about their masters needs is something parrots will never accomplish. Like Seeing Eye Dogs or Rescue Dogs. No parrot is ever going to do those. Cats - well no one ever taught a cat to do much more then go potty in the toilet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts