Is 0.6ml/day of Baytril for 3 weeks ok for a 14 yr old scarlet macaw?

Alex999

May 22, 2023
Parrots
Scarlet macaw. Acquired in 2011. 13-15 years old.
It was prescribed for an infection near one of his claws. The infection resulted from part of his metal identification band getting under his skin. Thankfully that metal band is gone (dreadful thing to do to these dear ones in the name of identification! I've read that microchips are a more current — more humane! — means of ID.)

I had been giving him 0.1ml/day Baytril since last Wednesday.

The vet based that dosage amount on a weight estimate of 10 lbs for the bird. I have doubts that estimate for a scarlet macaw. The bottle has 100mg/ml. An online vet I texted thinks it's standard and looks good as a dosage for him.

I don't want to overdose the little guy and make him sick, but don't want to underdose him either and slow down his recovery either.

I welcome informed input.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I don't know what is therapeutic dosing in mg/kg for parrots, but regardless, 10 pounds would probably be the biggest scarlet in history, given that average weight from what I found is about 1 kg. (2.2 pounds) I wouldn't be inclined to base dosing on a guess at the weight of your bird, especially if it's likely much higher than actual weight.

ETA:

Merck veterinary manual shows dosing of 15-20 mg/kg, twice a day, so daily total for a 1 kg bird would be 0.3-0.4 ml. 0.6 ml is 60 mg. I also read that larger parrots like Macs and Toos are more susceptible to toxicity if dosing is too high. I'm not a vet, but that's kinda scary to me. Can you get an accurate weight for your bird so proper dosing can be calculated? I'm kind of curious what vet wouldn't question the idea of a 10 pound Mac. Again, I'm not a vet, but that jumped out at me. By comparison, an average bald eagle weighs 8-12 pounds, and they're HUGE compared to a macaw.

Last edited:
OP
A

Alex999

May 22, 2023
Parrots
I'd rather err on the side of too little dosage than too much. I was thinking something like 0.3ml/day. I wonder, though, for how long I should keep my scarlet on it, what the typical length of time is for a scarlet to be on Baytril.

The vet who prescribed it had said to administer the medicine until finished. But I wonder about that too.

I welcome any additional thoughts on this, as I'm new to having to deal with this.

ETA:

I wonder also, since I've already had the bird on 0.1ml/day of Baytril for a week starting last Wed on 7/12, how much longer can I have him on Baytril, esp on a higher dose like 0.2 or 0 3 ml? 3 weeks seems awfully long for any antibiotic. He still does have infection, though, and gets around pretty much on one claw and his beak. Again I'm new to this, so informed replies welcome.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Firstly - is this a a) Certified Avain Vet, or b) just a dog and cat vet who 'sees' birds? If the answer is b), I would get a hold of a real Avian vet.
Making that big an error re: the weight, does not fill me with confidence. Get an accurate weight for your Macaw, and use the manufacturers info online for dosing

Antibiotics should be used for the full term of the treatment. Stopping treatment early, for antibiotics, is really bad, as the weaker bacteria are killed off, leaving the stronger ones to live on in your bird (same as with people). The infection can come back even stronger and be hard to treat the second time around. Once you get good info on the dosage, finish all the medicine as directed.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I'd be careful with "finish all" if it comes in a generic stock size bottle. If you have the same bottle that you use to treat a 50 pound dog, or an 8 pound cat, you're going to have leftovers. Depending on the type of infection, looks like typical course is 7-14 days. Again, I'd defer to a trusted, hopefully avian, vet.

OP
A

Alex999

May 22, 2023
Parrots
Firstly - is this a a) Certified Avain Vet, or b) just a dog and cat vet who 'sees' birds? If the answer is b), I would get a hold of a real Avian vet.
Making that big an error re: the weight, does not fill me with confidence. Get an accurate weight for your Macaw, and use the manufacturers info online for dosing

Antibiotics should be used for the full term of the treatment. Stopping treatment early, for antibiotics, is really bad, as the weaker bacteria are killed off, leaving the stronger ones to live on in your bird (same as with people). The infection can come back even stronger and be hard to treat the second time around. Once you get good info on the dosage, finish all the medicine as directed.
The vet who saw him is new to the practice with a concentration on exotic animals. As it is, avian vets are practically nonexistent, it seems, in our "slower lower Delaware" area. I found her by way of reference from a local animal hospital (dogs and cats) that are aware of the hospital where she just started her practice.

It was lucky I could find one at all, it seems, within a reachable distance from where I live.

I wonder how long the bird would have to be on the medicine from a bottle of 100mg/ml at say 0.2 or 0.3ml/day if it meant having it until it's finished. As it was, I had to have assistance from someone taking an afternoon of work off to help me get him there 46 miles round trip, and I'm a shut-in. Even handling the bird was traumatic for him, so not so easy to be getting him around. And it was a hellacious struggle, to say the least, for the vet and her assistant to get that metal band off him!

Under the circumstances described the duration of the antibiotic treatment is still a very open question

Still welcoming informed input. Thanks..

Last edited:

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have never know of Baytril to be given for more than 14 days. But I also am not a vet and can only give my personal experience. As for amount I have never had a vet prescribe antibiotics without getting the weight of the animal, birds included. Again just my experience but the ones that I have seen have a system in place even if it is to towel the bird, weight the empty travel carrier and then put the bird back in the carrier and weigh it again. I would not be comfortable with guessing at weight for the dosage.

Most Reactions

Latest posts