Is Your Bird Screaming Or "Contact Calling" All Day? Thinking Of Getting Him A Friend?

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Is Your Bird Screaming Or "Contact Calling" All Day? Thinking Of Getting Him A Friend?

I wrote this in response to a post started by a member with budgie that was screaming all day long while he was not home. He lives with his brother, who was getting upset about the bird's constant screaming, or what he described as his bird "Contact Calling" for him all day long. His budgie was kept alone in his bedroom all day while his brother and other people were out in the rest of the house. So his bird could hear a "flock" but not see it.

This member's potential solution for getting his bird to stop screaming was to go out and buy his budgie "a friend". This is a very common response to the problem of a screaming bird, but unfortunately it rarely stops the screaming (sometimes it actually doubles the screaming) and most of the time the person will end up with two birds that hate each other and cannot even be kept together.

So if you have a screaming bird that you keep alone in your bedroom, a spare bedroom, a back room, or that you keep away from the "Action" room of your home, please do not buy a second bird as a "friend" for your screaming bird, but read my explanation below of #1 WHY your bird is screaming and #2 what simple step you can take to make it stop.

"No, please do not get a second budgie (not unless it is 100% for you because you want another bird). It probably won't make a bit of difference with your current bird's screaming, and they may hate each other and never be able to spend time together, or they may bond with each other very closely and your current bird in this scenario may lose all sense of a bond with you. This happens quite often, a person bonds very closely with their bird, they get a "friend" for their bird, the two birds become a bonded pair (regardless of sex), and neither bird now wants anything to do with the person anymore. This is not the reason your bird is screaming to begin with. He's not contact calling you specifically, he's a flock animal and he's flock calling to the people he hears in your house all day long!!!

He is back in your bedroom alone and he is hearing everything that is going on in your house when you're gone. He's hearing people talking, normal everyday sounds, the TV, music, whatever is going on in your house..
BUT HE CAN'T SEE WHAT HE IS HEARING!

This is a very, very common issue and this is where I would start, even before addressing the possibility of his hormones going crazy. Whenever this problem with a bird screaming during the day when their main person is not home comes up on here, the common denominator with all of the posts is that the bird's cage is not in the main living room of the house where most of the traffic is and where people in the house are just sitting and hanging out, but rather they always have their cage in a bedroom away from the main living room where they are alone all day and can see no one but can hear everyone and everything. And 99% of the time in these similar posts the screaming problem is remedied pretty quickly, like within a week or two, by moving the bird's cage to the main living room, den, TV room, whatever you want to call it, that the people in the house usually are in, and where the bird can see people going in and out of the door, people just sitting on the couch watching TV or reading, people sitting at a table eating, etc. It usually takes the bird a week to get used to the fact that the people walking around and talking aren't always going to come and get them out of the cage or pay attention to them, but once they get used to the new dynamic they absolutely love it and are finally content to be alone in their cages, playing by themselves with their toys, napping, eating, etc.

What most people don't understand is that birds are very intelligent and social flock animals. Flock animals are just that, they are animals that live with and desperately want to be in a flock. And where most people that bring a bird into their home make a huge mistake is by thinking that the bird will only be happy with direct interaction with them. That's just not true. It's not about the bird needing to always be with you because you are his bonded person or needing to always be directly interacted with by anyone for that matter. Sure your bird loves you and wants out of his cage as much as possible, he would rather be playing with you than alone, etc. But he's not screaming all day long because you aren't home and he wants to be out of his cage with you, he's screaming because he knows there is a flock somewhere in that house, he can hear it, and he wants to be a part of the flock and to be amongst it!!!

So basically your bird is lonely and bored and frustrated being locked inside a cage all day IN YOUR ROOM, alone, where he can't see the flock he can hear out in the house. And this frustration keeps him screaming for someone to come get him and bring him out amongst the flock. It also keeps him from playing with his toys by himself while he's in the cage and entertaining himself at all. He's bored, lonely, and frustrated. So how do you fix this and get him to stop screaming all day? Just move his cage out of your room and put it in whatever room or area of your house that the people living there spend the most time, walk past the most, talk the most, just simply spend the most time sitting near where his cage would be. At first he may (or may not) beg a bit to want to come out during the day, but typically what will happen is after you leave in the morning for school or work or whatever, he will know you're gone, but he will suddenly be able to see everything he was hearing. In short, he'll finally feel like he's a part of the flock. It also helps if everyone in the house just says hello to him while walking past his cage. Make him feel like they know he's there and he's a part of the flock. He'll quickly see someone sitting near him watching TV or whatever they are doing, and once he realizes that they aren't going to necessarily pay direct attention to him but they also aren't going to take him away from the action, he'll very quickly start to feel so much more secure and happy, and instead of screaming you'll soon notice him playing by himself with his toys (which he should have plenty of), eating, talking to himself (my 7 budgies are in a flight cage in my living room and they talk and play happily all day long while I'm doing whatever I'm doing in the same room), napping, etc. No more screaming flock call!!! Then whenever you get home you need to make an effort to give him at least 3-4 hours per day of out of cage time and direct interaction with you, whether that be just sitting on your shoulder while you're on the computer, watching TV, doing homework, etc. This is when he should be taken into a back bedroom with you for some quality together time with his person, not all day long alone...And then at his bedtime (he needs at least 12 hours of sleep each night for hormonal control) just make sure you cover his cage with a blanket or sheet that is dark enough to block out the light from the TV or whatever else is in your living room. The noise won't bother him, trust me, as soon as I cover my budgies they are out, and I watch TV for a few more hours right next to their cage".

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Re: Is Your Bird Screaming Or "Contact Calling" All Day? Thinking Of Getting Him A Fr

Well stated!!! Clearly a Thread that needs to be referenced when individuals experience this very common reactions by their birds.

Parrots are in contact with each other and their social group all day long. When blocked off from the others, they try to contact with them. Kind of like stating: Hey, I am in here and I can not get to you!! Can you hear me!!

Thanks Ellen!

Your many Threads and Posts that provide heartfelt clarity to common problems have individual merit and worthy of a Thread containing your many musings on topics of interest and support!

Steven!

Last edited:

israel_gcc

Mar 19, 2017
Israel
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, b. ~Sept. 2016
Re: Is Your Bird Screaming Or "Contact Calling" All Day? Thinking Of Getting Him A Fr

Great post! Indirect socialization is important to humans and to birds, but not all humans recognize that need, even in themselves.

Sort of an indirect connection, but I'm reminded of a human example - how hearing a one-sided phone conversation is much harder to tune out than hearing two people talking next to us in person. When we hear a question or statement that's left hanging with no response (like in an overheard phone conversation), we have an automatic reaction to check whether we're the person being addressed, even if we intellectually know that we aren't.

A bird able to hear its 'flock' but not able to see them or reach them - I can imagine how that might bring up even more distressing anxieties of getting lost, or being ostracized.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

Here is the problem I am having with my poor little Pacho.

Pacho lost her "mate" last December when Plumas um... past over the rainbow bridge.
In the before condition Pacho and Plumas would contact call only when everyone left the living room.

In the now condition Pacho contact calls as soon as she looses sight of ME. My wife can be sitting 2 feet away and it does not matter, she still starts calling loudly until I return or am in sight. When I go to work or am off running errands things are ok.

As my heading states Pacho is a Red Lord Amazon. The pet shop that sold me my Bella has a Lilac Crowned Amazon (female) 16 yrs old. I have been thinking about this bird as a friend/companion for Pacho.
The thing is if they don't get along I just can't take another bird in another cage. This is one time I am not thinking about another bird for me it would be for Pacho.

I took Pacho with me to the pet store to see how the birds would react to each other. The pet shop bird was very interested in Pacho. I can't say just how much interest Pacho had in the other bird. It was to much strangeness for Pacho (being in the store with other strangers). I want to add I did NOT put them in the same cage or anything stupid like that. Closest approach was about 2 feet.

At this point I am 75% no 25 % yes. I just feel bad for my Pacho.
texsize

trimblegirls

Dec 30, 2016
Northern CA
Parrots
African Grey: Jasper
Blue and Gold Macaw: Lulu
Eclectus: Pickles

This is one time I am not thinking about another bird for me it would be for Pacho.

texsize

What's wrong with the 10 other parrots you already have? Bella is a bit big but you have 9 others, one of which is an Amazon, that are the right size to befriend Pacho. Not judging, just wondering....

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Outstanding post, Ellen!! Great insight and advice!!

OP
EllenD

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"

Pacho lost her "mate" last December when Plumas um... past over the rainbow bridge.
In the before condition Pacho and Plumas would contact call only when everyone left the living room.

In the now condition Pacho contact calls as soon as she looses sight of ME. My wife can be sitting 2 feet away and it does not matter, she still starts calling loudly until I return or am in sight. When I go to work or am off running errands things are ok.

As my heading states Pacho is a Red Lord Amazon. The pet shop that sold me my Bella has a Lilac Crowned Amazon (female) 16 yrs old. I have been thinking about this bird as a friend/companion for Pacho.
The thing is if they don't get along I just can't take another bird in another cage. This is one time I am not thinking about another bird for me it would be for Pacho.

I took Pacho with me to the pet store to see how the birds would react to each other. The pet shop bird was very interested in Pacho. I can't say just how much interest Pacho had in the other bird. It was to much strangeness for Pacho (being in the store with other strangers). I want to add I did NOT put them in the same cage or anything stupid like that. Closest approach was about 2 feet.

texsize

That's a tough one because as you well know, there is absolutely no way to know if the two birds will bond to each other, hate each other, or simply be indifferent to each other. Another possibility is that the new bird will take to Pacho, but Pacho won't want anything to do with the new bird, and when this situation occurs it often ends with the bird who is interested becoming frustrated and eventually aggressive towards Pacho, your other birds, or even you and any other people they come in contact with. There are so many variables when a new bird is added to a home, and honestly, in my personal experience knowing several people or couples that have added a new bird to "replace" a bird that either died or was lost, I have never once seen it work out perfectly with both the new bird and the current bird who lost it's mate bonding with each other and the dynamic between them becoming anything at all similar to the dynamic their current bird had with the bird that was lost. More often I've found that the insecurity and abandonment issues their current bird is having can be worked out with time, patience, and a little love.

I can't tell you what to do in your situation, but I think you know what may happen if you buy a new bird as a friend for your current bird that is going through a loss. Birds are emotionally very much like people, they pick their mates, they choose the birds they like, don't like, hate, and the ones that they fall in love with. They hurt when they lose a friend and get jealous and often angry when we bring new birds into our flocks. They manifest psychological and emotional problems in all different ways just as people do, including with physical self-harming. And they typically do heal with time. So my suggestion would be to try to work with Pacho on what he's going through, my guess is that he feels like he lost his mate that he loved, like his friend abandoned him suddenly and he has no idea why. And he's most likely afraid that you might walk away and never come back in just the same way. He knows that it's normal for you to go to work every day around the same time and to come home at the same time, it's normal for you to run out to run errands, etc., so he doesn't get excited about you leaving for those normal time periods away. But when you're spending time with him and supposed to be with him and you get up and leave, he wants to know why and when you'll be coming back. If I were you I would try talking to him when you're doing things, tell him when you're leaving, what you are doing, and when you'll be back. They really do understand context, especially with repetition, so if you stand up and say "Pacho, I'm going to get a drink and I'll be right back", and he sees you leave the room and return with a glass of water or a soda, he will eventually learn that if you say you're getting a drink that means you'll be back carrying a drink, and if you say you'll be right back that means you'll be back in a couple of minutes. If you're running an errand say "Pacho, I'm running an errand and I'll be back shortly", or be even more specific and say "Pacho, I'm running an errand and I'll be back in an hour", and he'll eventually know what an hour means. He just needs reassurance that you are not leaving him forever like Plumas did. He'll get it eventually, you just have to work with him and help him through his new insecurities, just like you would a young child who has lost a friend or a parent.

By all means, if YOU want to bring this new Amazon into your home and family then go for it. But you have more than enough experience and knowledge to know that it may not help Pacho one bit, and may even cause more problems for him and you than you currently have. And if you don't especially want this new bird for yourself and he and Pacho do not get along and it doesn't help Pacho get over his loss in the way that you alone can, you'll have another bird to be responsible for that you don't really know what to do with. You already know everything I'm saying, you just need to fully think it out...

texsize

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

israel_gcc

Mar 19, 2017
Israel
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, b. ~Sept. 2016

"If I were you I would try talking to him when you're doing things, tell him when you're leaving, what you are doing, and when you'll be back."

This is an incredibly timely addition. I started doing basically this a day or two ago with my new bird, because I noticed that it reduced his shrieking a LOT when I left a room. It blows my mind to think that he might one day understand my statements to the level that you describe.

There's no way he understands my words yet, but it seems that just having me say things to him in a friendly tone of voice when leaving the room helps a lot with his anxiety over losing sight of me. And it has the added bonus of underscoring my displeasure if I silently leave the room when trying to discipline him.

Plus, if he were a human I was hanging out with in the same room, I wouldn't suddenly leave without a word of explanation - it's just basic politeness! Even more so if I were supervising a young child. So many behaviors make sense when you view them from the perspective of, "how would a 2-year-old child be feeling in the same situation? How would I act to try and deal with their concerns?"

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon

I borrowed a trick from a dog-owning friend. When we leave the house Gus has to go back in his cage, and he would freak a little. So right before we go, I go and tell him we're leaving, be a good bird and watch the house, then give him a nut. He loves nuts. It keeps him busy until we are out the door, there's no screaming, and I believe - I hope - that he will make the association that our leaving means something good will happen. Maybe some day he'll be all, "Are you still here? Didn't you have some place to go? I'll watch the house, where's my nut?" Since he only says "grunt, uh, awk, Hmph" we will have to interpret...

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels

This is one time I am not thinking about another bird for me it would be for Pacho.

texsize

What's wrong with the 10 other parrots you already have? Bella is a bit big but you have 9 others, one of which is an Amazon, that are the right size to befriend Pacho. Not judging, just wondering....

Bingo is. Very aggressive with any other bird.
Bella might be possible but even if they get along I would worry about the dust that a CAG puts out.+ Bella is young and active. Pacho is neither.
LCA at store is 16 years old.
Know "I" don't need another bird.
Do take Pacho with me when practical. But cooking and feeding cockatiel in morning everyone in house gets woke up because of Pacho.
sorry answer so short working off tablet AC in house was out, tablet or cell only way to connect to internet.

Last edited:

Most Reactions