Looking for a sterile male lovebird

souwaylier

Jul 27, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi there bird lovers, I've got a lovebird case I'm struggling with. Maybe you could help?

TL;DR: I'm looking for a solution to pair a lonely lovebird female with sterile male (so they don't have chicks).

My friend has a lovebird she purchased a while ago; it was supposed to be a male, turned out to be a female (after she produced eggs earlier this year).
Charlie is going a bit crazy (mostly gets into loud tantrums at morning times) and we suspect she needs a mate. Not to mention it's a lovebird, so a mate is recommended by default I believe.

I've read some articles that hybrid males are usually sterile, but we're having hard time finding one. This is our best bet so far, if true.

Do you have any tips? One breeder I called mentioned that if we pair Charlie (whom he interpreted as a Fischer) with Masked they shouldn't have chicks, but I'm having hard time believing that (both seem to cross just fine from what I've read).

Thank you in advance, hope you won't find this thread too chaotic or ignorant.

P.S.
Possibly a very important note; are you guys able to determine what type of lovebird Charlie is? We thought it's either a Fischer or Peachface, but she seems to not have specific attributes (like white borders around eyes).
Photo attached.

Attachments

• Charlie.jpg
    Charlie.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 38

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Lovies do just fine on their own. And keep in mind that this years mating season in the Northern Hemisphere has been a long and especially hard one. Excessive screaming is just one of the results. If you keep busy with lots of chewing opportunities and lots of 1 on 1 attention, it may help. A tired or otherwise engaged parrot is a quiet one.

OP
S

souwaylier

Jul 27, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
Lovies do just fine on their own. And keep in mind that this years mating season in the Northern Hemisphere has been a long and especially hard one. Excessive screaming is just one of the results. If you keep busy with lots of chewing opportunities and lots of 1 on 1 attention, it may help. A tired or otherwise engaged parrot is a quiet one.
Hello! Yes, indeed Charlie is just fine on her own and she's pretty much "paired" with her owner. She gets lots of attention. But there are times she's loud and cannot be entertained, like at 5AM, or when the owner is out (and the walls are thin).
Thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts