Lovebird help

Rosemarys

Dec 12, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Hi thanks for accepting me to the group. My lovebirds had babies over a year ago, I have kept them so now have two pairs in separate cages, now mum bird is rejecting dad bird and wants one of the babies as her mate. What should I do in this situation? I’d appreciate any advice. Thanks

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Wow, that must be some learning experience having a clutch and keeping it! I would definitely avoid inbreeding. Do you know the sexes of the two offspring?

OP
R

Rosemarys

Dec 12, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Definitely an experience 😊 so mango the baby I’m who mum wants instead of dad is male but apple the other baby I’m not sure about yet, is smaller and not matured yet.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would remove babies from the cage or aviary of mom and dad lovebird. I’m pretty sure that’s how breeders avoid this problem.

OP
R

Rosemarys

Dec 12, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds
Hi, they have been in their own cage for months as mum was attacking them, now she’s attacking dad I’ve had to take him out as she’s pretty vicious when she’s in her mood, I have been allowing them all out to fly about together but this will need to stop now.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe the young lovebirds could be removed to another room if the romance continues? Not to put human morals on the birds but it’s not good for mom to breed with her offspring. That should be a very rare occurrence.

Most Reactions