Macaw Catapult

Surfincr

Nov 13, 2013
CT
Parrots
Ziggy (African Grey) and Elvis B&G
or at least thats what Ell learned happens with her current cage when she tries to open the top gate (the part of the cage above the door that opens down) herself. lately to keep her happy i have been opening the latch and letting her stand out on it. with he old cage she loved opening it herself, since being in her new bigger cage i have been doing it for her. Since putting the hanging rope in she normally will hold the rope and the door while i open it so she stays in place and can easily walk out once open. Well this time i figured she used to love doing it so why not let her, she holds onto the rope so the worst that will happen is the door slams to the bottom and makes a ton of noise. Boy how wrong i was. She was so excited i let her do it that when it got open about half an inch she decided to full commit to getting the door open and grabbed it with both feet and beak at the very top. Next thing i know i'm getting colorful feathers in the face and see Ell hanging upside down from the door. She climbed back up herself got a couple head scratches from me and what does she do? she does her eyes pinning, puts her head straight up and lets out her that was fun/exciting noise...:31:

i'm just thankful she held on otherwise our new born was sitting straight across and would have had an interesting experience. On the plus side he does enjoy the big colorful bird.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When Sweepea was younger, she had a Mirabella line in her cage with little rings on it. She used to hang upside down by her feet by the little rings, and then disconnect the quick link with her beak.

She would then use the mirabella line to swing across the cage like Tarzan.

I can only imagine what life would have been like if she had discovered a way to make a homemade catapult! :p

Most Reactions