Male or female? I get it’s early, guesses are still appreciated!

RemiTheCockateil

Feb 10, 2024
Parrots
Cockateil
This is Remi! Do yall think male or female? 4 months old and makes small chirpy noises. Very low energy and chill, sleeps a lot and loves people
IMG_8667.jpeg

IMG_8674.jpeg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 7

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Until it gets adult feathers it’s just a guess.
Female is my guess.
If the bird looses it’s pearl mutation look then male.

OP
R

RemiTheCockateil

Feb 10, 2024
Parrots
Cockateil
Until it gets adult feathers it’s just a guess.
Female is my guess.
If the bird looses it’s pearl mutation look then male.
Ok, thank you! I just brought him or her home yesterday, and when put in the cage stays still in one spot. Normal?

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Ok, thank you! I just brought him or her home yesterday, and when put in the cage stays still in one spot. Normal?
I think so.
the first day some birds won’t even eat.
You have to be careful with young birds.
they can regress from self feeding (weened state) to wanting to be fed like a baby .
then you need to prepare and feed them baby bird formula.

as long as he/she is eating and drinking it’s best to let her settle in on her own terms.

OP
R

RemiTheCockateil

Feb 10, 2024
Parrots
Cockateil
I think so.
the first day some birds won’t even eat.
You have to be careful with young birds.
they can regress from self feeding (weened state) to wanting to be fed like a baby .
then you need to prepare and feed them baby bird formula.

as long as he/she is eating and drinking it’s best to let her settle in on her own terms.
Yes, he or she is eating, drinking, pooping, preening, doing all normal activities. Also is being braver in the cage! But when I get her out she is low energy and when set on the window perch appears to be shivering. Just kinda mopey. Will perk up when set on the floor but wants to be on me

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yes, he or she is eating, drinking, pooping, preening, doing all normal activities. Also is being braver in the cage! But when I get her out she is low energy and when set on the window perch appears to be shivering. Just kinda mopey. Will perk up when set on the floor but wants to be on me
Cockatiels are prey animals and always concerned about predators.
could be she is nervous being so exposed in the window.

OP
R

RemiTheCockateil

Feb 10, 2024
Parrots
Cockateil
Cockatiels are prey animals and always concerned about predators.
could be she is nervous being so exposed in the window.
Yeah I guess, I had it on the mirror but window was close. Maybe seeing reflection scared her

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This is Remi! Do yall think male or female? 4 months old and makes small chirpy noises. Very low energy and chill, sleeps a lot and loves people
View attachment 57747

View attachment 57748
View attachment 57750
It's still too early but I'm going to say male cos it's crest is very long, there is no stripes on the under tale and its face looks like it's about to go full yellow. But hey I could be wrong.
Both me and the store owner thought my tiel was a hen when I got him but ended up loosing it's grey face and its tail stripes and was a rooster after all.
Sometimes it's behaviour can be a clue, if it likes to sing and strut around a lot it could be male.

OP
R

RemiTheCockateil

Feb 10, 2024
Parrots
Cockateil
It's still too early but I'm going to say male cos it's crest is very long, there is no stripes on the under tale and its face looks like it's about to go full yellow. But hey I could be wrong.
Both me and the store owner thought my tiel was a hen when I got him but ended up loosing it's grey face and its tail stripes and was a rooster after all.
Sometimes it's behaviour can be a clue, if it likes to sing and strut around a lot it could be male.
Thank you!! He or she sings and hollers a LOT, little chirpy sounds with me and screeches when alone. He or she is really coming out of their shell and enjoying scratches and toys more! I can’t wait for the clipped wings to grow out. I have a vet visit Monday for a checkup as well 🫶🏻

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thank you!! He or she sings and hollers a LOT, little chirpy sounds with me and screeches when alone. He or she is really coming out of their shell and enjoying scratches and toys more! I can’t wait for the clipped wings to grow out. I have a vet visit Monday for a checkup as well 🫶🏻
Sounds like a boy.
all my females really don’t sing and whistle.
is it too late to change my guess?
enjoy the pearl coloration, I’m guessing he will be a normal grey in appearance but able to pass on the pearl mutation if he mates.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Yes my friend It's too late to change your guess it's been put into the system, documented and locked in 🙂

I think it's impossible to tell when their young especially with all the mutations. I think it can still be a rooster despite it having pearl.

Someone recently told me he can tell by looking at their cloaca. He said if it's closed its a male and if it's open its a female I can't seem to tell cos of the feathers all around there and I don't want to put my hand down there either.

Check out what my tiel looked like when I got him... Grey face and see that tail pattern, it was all underneath as well. Both shop owner and myself thought it was a female but we were wrong.

20230312_134429.jpg

Check out Shifty now. And he is a normal grey which is supposed to be the easiest to distinguish sex.
20240118_160751.jpg

Now he has a full bright yellow face and no stripy tail. Definitely a male.

So I'm not falling for the grey face and stripy tail this time. LoL. I'm guessing male

OP
R

RemiTheCockateil

Feb 10, 2024
Parrots
Cockateil
Yes my friend It's too late to change your guess it's been put into the system, documented and locked in 🙂

I think it's impossible to tell when their young especially with all the mutations. I think it can still be a rooster despite it having pearl.

Someone recently told me he can tell by looking at their cloaca. He said if it's closed its a male and if it's open its a female I can't seem to tell cos of the feathers all around there and I don't want to put my hand down there either.

Check out what my tiel looked like when I got him... Grey face and see that tail pattern, it was all underneath as well. Both shop owner and myself thought it was a female but we were wrong.

View attachment 57853
Check out Shifty now. And he is a normal grey which is supposed to be the easiest to distinguish sex.
View attachment 57854
Now he has a full bright yellow face and no stripy tail. Definitely a male.

So I'm not falling for the grey face and stripy tail this time. LoL. I'm guessing male
Wow you have stunning birds!! I just found out he’s only 2 months old 🤯

OP
R

RemiTheCockateil

Feb 10, 2024
Parrots
Cockateil
Sounds like a boy.
all my females really don’t sing and whistle.
enjoy the pearl coloration, I’m guessing he will be a normal grey in appearance but able to pass on the pearl mutation if he mates.
I agree!
And thank you!

Most Reactions