Mooting?

Bellarosy

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Hi folks,

My Indian ringneck is 11 months old and I think started last couple weeks he’s started to molt, and since last few days o noticed bald part on his head too. Is this normal? Do birds molt on their head too?

Appreciate any feedback!

Phoebe
IMG_2979.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpeg
    IMG_2975.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 3

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Molting is typically seasonal. Summer going into fall/winter and winter going into spring. They drop the older feathers for thicker or thinner ones depending on the season going into. Yes they could get a bald spot during this process. When the new feathers come in the have a protective sheaf over them. They can get this off on most of thier body. The ones on it's neck and head you will need to help and get this off. Normally flockmates would do this. Since your it's flock now it's up to you. They may also like more bathes, misting during the molt and it helps with the itching they suffer thru.
20220421_114438.jpg

Here you can see some new feathers, called pin feathers, till the sheaf is off.
20220324_184518.jpg

And the results of a good pin feather husk removal session.
I pinch the tip off with thumb and for forefinger, the gently roll the rest and it will fall to bits as seen above.

OP
B

Bellarosy

Mar 17, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Molting is typically seasonal. Summer going into fall/winter and winter going into spring. They drop the older feathers for thicker or thinner ones depending on the season going into. Yes they could get a bald spot during this process. When the new feathers come in the have a protective sheaf over them. They can get this off on most of thier body. The ones on it's neck and head you will need to help and get this off. Normally flockmates would do this. Since your it's flock now it's up to you. They may also like more bathes, misting during the molt and it helps with the itching they suffer thru.
View attachment 58898
Here you can see some new feathers, called pin feathers, till the sheaf is off.
View attachment 58899
And the results of a good pin feather husk removal session.
I pinch the tip off with thumb and for forefinger, the gently roll the rest and it will fall to bits as seen above.
Thank you Jexnell, that’s very informative and I really appreciate your above and beyond answer, cheers!

Most Reactions

Latest posts