More GCC Questions - DIY "tree"

The_Big_Sleep

Aug 9, 2012
The Woods, Somewhere, USA
Parrots
Wilson the Green Cheek!
Hello! I have a few questions about building a "tree" for my GCC

I went for a long walk yesterday and came home with a large tree branch that I'd like to turn into a perch/tree. I'm not sure what type of wood it is; it's a New England area tree, smooth bark, dead & dried, with no fungus/rot/insects. I've stripped the small branches and the shape is good for what I have in mind. Now, I'm very familiar with cleaning natural wood for use in aquarium tanks (boiling in salt water, scrubbing & putting it in a quarantine tank for 30days), but am unsure what steps are needed to make this branch bird-safe. I've tried searching for "DIY bird stands" and so far what I've found relates to cured driftwood, PVC & store-bought wood. I'll continue my research but guidance here would be great!

On a behavioral note, I've got the branch sitting in my living room right now (approx 15 feet from Wilson's cage) and he seems very freaked out by the thing. I tried to get him to go near it last night and he was having none of it. I walked past it with him on my shoulders a few times and he'd continually hide in the collar of my shirt, and would sort of hunch down and completely ignore my "step up" commands - even across the room from the branch. He wasn't aggressive/nippy and he wasn't trembling, he'd just sit there quietly and refuse to move/ do anything. Whenever I'd leave the room he'd snap out of it and start running around on my shoulders again. I'm going to give him at least a few more days to adjust to it, but if it continues to freak him out is it a good idea to even continue building the thing? It totally defeats the purpose if all it does is scare him :09:

AFP520

Banned
Banned
Jun 7, 2012
NJ
Parrots
Lucy, Sun Capped Conure
I'd perch him on something where he can see you interact with the branch and that he can see it poses no danger. It might take a few tries but he will eventually want to see what's up with it, because they do it with everything else you interact with!

Most Reactions