Moses Going to European Union - Lithuania

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello
The Parrot Forum is the BEST!
I am thinking of taking Moses to our summer home in Lithuania.
He does have a leg band.

My Question?

Can anyone share with me:

How To Bring a Parrot like Moses (Solomon Island Eclectus) to the European Union Countries Like Lithuania from Florida.

I would hope i could place him in a small bird carrier if need to be placed under the airplane seat. (Any recommendations for airplane travel bird carrier?)

I have heard it is very difficult and challenging to accomplish.

I did take my Duchess (German Shepherd) from Miami to Vilnius Lithuania and there were many things I had to do with vet checks etc (by a Government Approved Vet)

Thank you all very very much you all are so good to each other and we thank you:)

Larry Kiceina azflcowboy

Attachments

• Moses1.jpg
    Moses1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 19

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hello
The Parrot Forum is the BEST!
I am thinking of taking Moses to our summer home in Lithuania.
He does have a leg band.

My Question?

Can anyone share with me:

How To Bring a Parrot like Moses (Solomon Island Eclectus) to the European Union Countries Like Lithuania from Florida.

I would hope i could place him in a small bird carrier if need to be placed under the airplane seat. (Any recommendations for airplane travel bird carrier?)

I have heard it is very difficult and challenging to accomplish.

I did take my Duchess (German Shepherd) from Miami to Vilnius Lithuania and there were many things I had to do with vet checks etc (by a Government Approved Vet)

Thank you all very very much you all are so good to each other and we thank you:)

Larry Kiceina azflcowboy

The issue with bringing your bird isnā€™t how you travel on the plane (although with many airlines you cannot bring a bird in cabin). Itā€™s the process of getting permission to bring them in the first place, and itā€™s really stressful for them.

Firstly there is a mandatory 30 day pre export quarantine, unless you arrange for them to do the quarantine in the EU. It has to be done in an approved facility (usually a vets office) which is probably gonna be pretty stressful on your bird.

Secondly, eclectus are an appendix II parrot listed in the CITES treaty. This means you need permission from the exporting country (and appropriate paperwork) to take your bird to the EU. A single use passport is good for 6mo and should include re-entry into the US. There are also pet passports available for 3 years.

If a bird is listed in CITES it is also listed in WBCA, and steps will need to be taken to satisfy those regulations as well. The PDF I linked has most of the relevant information.

In conclusion - how long are you planning on going to your summer house? A 30 day quarantine is a lot! But if itā€™s something you do frequently a pet passport might be worth looking into. I donā€™t think parrots are allowed in cabin on international flights which is another major issue.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I can't help answering your question but I'm thinking if eclectuses are allowed to keep in Lithuania without permission. Awhile ago I read an article that recently they have accepted "positive list" of animals which includes many species of parrots - they need a permission to keep. But which species? I have no idea. I read that the ones which are endangered in the wild but I have no idea how to understand it - the blue and gold macaw is as "least concern" and somebody had to pay a punishment for keeping without permissionšŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø So I don't know if eclectuses too... Maybe this post is unnecessary. Maybe there is a separated law for "visitors"? I don't know...

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
The issue with bringing your bird isnā€™t how you travel on the plane (although with many airlines you cannot bring a bird in cabin). Itā€™s the process of getting permission to bring them in the first place, and itā€™s really stressful for them.

Firstly there is a mandatory 30 day pre export quarantine, unless you arrange for them to do the quarantine in the EU. It has to be done in an approved facility (usually a vets office) which is probably gonna be pretty stressful on your bird.

Secondly, eclectus are an appendix II parrot listed in the CITES treaty. This means you need permission from the exporting country (and appropriate paperwork) to take your bird to the EU. A single use passport is good for 6mo and should include re-entry into the US. There are also pet passports available for 3 years.

If a bird is listed in CITES it is also listed in WBCA, and steps will need to be taken to satisfy those regulations as well. The PDF I linked has most of the relevant information.

In conclusion - how long are you planning on going to your summer house? A 30 day quarantine is a lot! But if itā€™s something you do frequently a pet passport might be worth looking into. I donā€™t think parrots are allowed in cabin on international flights which is another major issue.
Hello
Thank you for all your information.
I was told it is a challenge if not even impossible:(
I was planning to keep Moses in our summer home in Lithuania full time as I have provisions when i travel back to the US to take care of him in the cold winters of northern eastern europe.
I will research it further with your great advice.
The ways things are going in the USA with the over whelming home insurance prices in Florida as well as the high real estate taxes in Florida we are thinking of making our Lithuanian Home a full time home and just come back to the USA for Holidays with families:) Actually my daughter who is planning to retire soon as a sheriff deputy stated she would also live in Lithuania and just come back to USA for the holidays and special occasions.
Thank you again for your advice as I do not wish to re-home Moses just because I wish to full time at our summer home....

Most Reactions

Latest posts