My First Cockatoo is a Rescue

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
Hmm doe's he do that after a feed? or stretch his neck at the same time? if so it's likely him adjusting food in crop

OP
E

Erick123

May 31, 2017
He does this when he is super relaxed. The pet store owner said that he wants people to blow in his mouth when he does that. When they did it, he seemed to enjoy. He could also judging how I am playing too lol. :p

OP
E

Erick123

May 31, 2017
Today I took Peanut to my room and after I fed him, he sat on his T stand and just stared at me. He looked pretty relaxed. When I got up to pet him, he became very aggressive. I took him to his room on the t stand and he got into a stance as if he want to lunge at me. His crest went up all the way and wings were spread. He started to scream very very loudly. It felt super threatening. He remained that way for about an hour and a half. Every time I tried to enter the room, he would become very hostile. I have to be honest, that sudden change of behavior really discouraged me. He was so calm and relaxed and his mood suddenly changed. He wanted to attack me.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Today I took Peanut to my room and after I fed him, he sat on his T stand and just stared at me. He looked pretty relaxed. When I got up to pet him, he became very aggressive. I took him to his room on the t stand and he got into a stance as if he want to lunge at me. His crest went up all the way and wings were spread. He started to scream very very loudly. It felt super threatening. He remained that way for about an hour and a half. Every time I tried to enter the room, he would become very hostile. I have to be honest, that sudden change of behavior really discouraged me. He was so calm and relaxed and his mood suddenly changed. He wanted to attack me.

The way you approached him after a super relaxed period could be a factor. Did you engage him first as with direct eye contact and quick movements, no speech involved you would have been perceived as threatening. Remember you are still in the very early days of your relationship and still learning from each other, trust is building but slowly. Plum has developed his way of telling me to naff off if he isnt bothered but I have had him for many years now. You have plenty to read and learn still. :)

OP
E

Erick123

May 31, 2017
I don't remember making any sudden movements and I often say "Hey, buddy!" or "Hey Mr. Peanut!" There have been times where he was in his room relaxed and I went up to him without saying anything and he welcomed my petting. I never saw this side of him before. Its like he had a war flash back or something.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Always tread carefully, you don't know what he has experienced in his life. You will get there but will take time ok? When you can trust one another you develop ways of soothing them that they trust. I would have just sat close enough to him (but not in harms way LOL) and talked to him soothingly during the screaming. You could try humming or singing softly. Try being lower than he is at times like this, less threatening, ie kneeling on the floor, just doing your own thing. He will tell you if it isnt working LOL.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Cockatoos are among the most moody of parrots! Thankfully they are mostly honest and communicate with the body language of wing spreading, crest movement, and yes, screaming. Not unheard of but rare to appear calm, sucker you in, and bite the crap out of you.

You'll never know the "baggage" Peanut has accumulated from one or more homes. Still in the honeymoon phase, and he may not feel completely at home. Great advice in the interim from Plumsmum!

Most Reactions

Latest posts