My old friend :) a CAG

HearSay and Ari

Feb 20, 2024
Parrots
African Grey (Hearsay)
Im new to this forum, so i hope stories like this are allowed. I never really knew alot about birds other than the one that lived in my house, but it got moved to live with my dad when I was eight. I forgot about the bird, because it brought memories of my dad. When my dad went to rehab, i had to take care of the guy. His name is Hearsay, a congo african grey. Hes currently 43, and my dad got him when he graduated college. I didnt know anything about bird care at the time, but even I could tell the way my dad was keeping him was wrong.. i was horrified. No toys, only concerte / sand perches that hurt EVEN me if i touched them, only sunflower seeds to eat, given beer, pizza, fruit loops and raw chicken with ranch. Whiskey was even sometimes poured into the water bowl. My father would blow smoke in his cage while he smoked. Mold was growing where the liner was. Yet not a single plucked feather, from the guy. I was genuinely surprised the bird lasted in the condition it was forced to live in, and i knew I had to help. So i took care of him everyday, obviously making mistakes and buying things i didn't need to (those vitamin powders you mix into water), and allowing him to roam freely for hours until i had to go back home.

But when my dad died after, i immediately took him in, spoiling the baby, and learning how to read his behavior. He knows how to say my name, i think it was a word he learned when i was a baby and got into trouble alot.. He hadn't said it for years when he lived with my dad, but now he loves to sing my name, and sing me songs. I like to think he recognized me all grown up now. Hes relearning how to use his wings again (just sucks at landing but! we are getting there.). hes still scared sometimes but hes gotten so much better it just makes me emotional. I never knew a bird could change my life. He made me realize i want to take care of animals just like him, maybe even start a bird business, making toys and perches and things. Who knows, i just know he will be the reason for it all. I love him. He has as many toys as he can imagine now, eats fresh fruits, grains, veggies and amazing pellets. I triple check every ingredient before letting anything even near him or his cage. He trusts me enough to step up, when he wants to. He will laugh when i trip, and even mock my coughing. His journey to finding his personality is something i dont think ill ever get tired about. He still gets overwhelmed, when he flies too much, or hes out for too long. Which is understandable, he spent maybe 34+ years locked in a cage and abused. But i never get angry when he bites or chews things hes not supposed to, because he's my baby. I wish i could have been there for him before, but im glad im here for him now.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Im new to this forum, so i hope stories like this are allowed. I never really knew alot about birds other than the one that lived in my house, but it got moved to live with my dad when I was eight. I forgot about the bird, because it brought memories of my dad. When my dad went to rehab, i had to take care of the guy. His name is Hearsay, a congo african grey. Hes currently 43, and my dad got him when he graduated college. I didnt know anything about bird care at the time, but even I could tell the way my dad was keeping him was wrong.. i was horrified. No toys, only concerte / sand perches that hurt EVEN me if i touched them, only sunflower seeds to eat, given beer, pizza, fruit loops and raw chicken with ranch. Whiskey was even sometimes poured into the water bowl. My father would blow smoke in his cage while he smoked. Mold was growing where the liner was. Yet not a single plucked feather, from the guy. I was genuinely surprised the bird lasted in the condition it was forced to live in, and i knew I had to help. So i took care of him everyday, obviously making mistakes and buying things i didn't need to (those vitamin powders you mix into water), and allowing him to roam freely for hours until i had to go back home.

But when my dad died after, i immediately took him in, spoiling the baby, and learning how to read his behavior. He knows how to say my name, i think it was a word he learned when i was a baby and got into trouble alot.. He hadn't said it for years when he lived with my dad, but now he loves to sing my name, and sing me songs. I like to think he recognized me all grown up now. Hes relearning how to use his wings again (just sucks at landing but! we are getting there.). hes still scared sometimes but hes gotten so much better it just makes me emotional. I never knew a bird could change my life. He made me realize i want to take care of animals just like him, maybe even start a bird business, making toys and perches and things. Who knows, i just know he will be the reason for it all. I love him. He has as many toys as he can imagine now, eats fresh fruits, grains, veggies and amazing pellets. I triple check every ingredient before letting anything even near him or his cage. He trusts me enough to step up, when he wants to. He will laugh when i trip, and even mock my coughing. His journey to finding his personality is something i dont think ill ever get tired about. He still gets overwhelmed, when he flies too much, or hes out for too long. Which is understandable, he spent maybe 34+ years locked in a cage and abused. But i never get angry when he bites or chews things hes not supposed to, because he's my baby. I wish i could have been there for him before, but im glad im here for him now.
Welcome to the forums, @HearSay and Ari!! Of COURSE your story is allowed, in fact stories like yours are some of our favourites!! I'm so glad you found us, that you and Hearsay are properly together now and that he is getting the love and care that he needs and deserves💝 Don't forget to please post some pics whenever you can, will you? Cos we'd love to see your handsome fellow!

OP
H

HearSay and Ari

Feb 20, 2024
Parrots
African Grey (Hearsay)
Welcome to the forums, @HearSay and Ari!! Of COURSE your story is allowed, in fact stories like yours are some of our favourites!! I'm so glad you found us, that you and Hearsay are properly together now and that he is getting the love and care that he needs and deserves💝 Don't forget to please post some pics whenever you can, will you? Cos we'd love to see your handsome fellow!
I would love to post a photo, and will soon! However, hes too smart for my own good and will mimic my laugh and run away when he sees me trying to record him or take a photo... Nobody ever told me i would be having a pet which such an attitude !!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I luv your little buddy’s name.
and looking forward to the pictures.

caring

Aug 9, 2020

I would love to post a photo, and will soon! However, hes too smart for my own good and will mimic my laugh and run away when he sees me trying to record him or take a photo... Nobody ever told me i would be having a pet which such an attitude !!
Glad you have become Hearsay's friend and caregiver. In my experience, Parrots truly respond to having attention and being loved. While he may have an attitude, it is a big part of who he is. I look forward to learning more as your experiences with him grow.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
What a beautiful story! Can't wait to hear more about Hearsay. 🩶

Most Reactions

Latest posts