Need advise on feeding lorikeet

Keara

Oct 13, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Lorikeet
Hello everyone,
I have a rainbow lorikeet parrot. I saved it from the busy road. He was fighting with a raven in the middle of the road. Me and my husband stopped the car and helped the poor guy. He seems to have a broken wing. We checked him for any damages, it looks good, there is no blood or wounds. The right wing does not fully open.
He lives with us for three days now and does not fly at all. I bought a nectar dry mix for food and give him some fruits, like pear apple and carrot. I mash the hard fruits with a little honey and give soft apples in pieces. He always has a dry mix nectar in the bowl. Also he has a bowl with water.
I have a question. The parrot eats a lot, all day he goes to the nectar bowl or fruits and eats almost non stop. How much food I should give him?

We named him Grisha :) He is wild, we need to get to be friends with him, but he is active and playful. In the morning time he sings a beautiful melody. We already love him so much, and want him to be happy with us.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

Okay, a few things here. First, given the damage to his wing, he needs to be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible. And if at all possible, it should be a certified Avian vet. This is important because time is of the essence with a broken wing. If not set and healed properly, he might lose the ability of flight. Even worse, there is always the possibility of infection. So a visit to the vet would be best at this point.

Second, how certain are you that this lorikeet is truly wild? Because there might well be a family out there desperately searching for this little guy. If you're not absolutely certain, you should make an effort to find out if there is anyone out there searching for him before taking him in permanently as your own. I know that would be tough, especially if you've already welcomed him into your heart, but it is the right thing to do. If you don't find any fliers or such around your town (supermarkets, local vets, firefighter stations, etc), and no one credible comes forward to claim him after you get the word out, then at least you've tried.

As for the eating requirements, beyond general knowledge of their need for nectar, fruits and such, I don't know enough about lorikeets in particular to give you specifics. However, one of our lorikeet experts should be along soon enough to help you with those questions.

Wishing you the best either way this turns out!

OP
K

Keara

Oct 13, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Lorikeet
I am searching for an Avian vet now. We are in Brisbane, Australia have to wait till Monday. I am sure that this parrot is wild. We have these lorikeets flying around in the wild nature and living neighborhoods. He is biting and screaming at us when me or my husband change food and water in his bowls. Also near this road was a huge tree full of these parrots, probably his wild family. If we can fix his wing, will let him fly around our backyard and see how it goes. Looks like he was sitting somewhere in the bush for a while and was very hungry till was found by a raven.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ah, you're looking to do a rehab and release, then. (Flight ability permitting.) Beautiful! Apologies, I misread your post. He's lucky to have been found in time by someone like you. Please let us know how it all goes. And in the meantime, I'm sure one of our lorikeet parronts will be along for your more specific questions.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello and thank you for rescuing Grisha from that raven, sometimes our little wild birdies need all the help they can get!

You definitely are best to get him to an avian vet for an assessment as soon as you can. If like me you are on Brisbaneā€™s northside thereā€™s a brilliant bird vet on Hamilton Road at Chermside, Iā€™ve been taking my guys there for years and theyā€™re great. If youā€™re over on the southside thereā€™s one at Greenslopes, Iā€™ve not been there myself but Iā€™m told theyā€™re very good too. Either one will also be able to give you the best advice in terms of keeping him healthy and happy diet-wise, plus whether rehab and release is feasible.

I wish you the best of luck going forward with Grisha, he sure has been given a second chance at life thanks to you!

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Donā€™t mention it!

Oh and you can get a ā€œwetā€ mix for lorikeets at most pet shops. It comes as a dry powder that you mix 50/50 with water but you mustnā€™t leave it in the cage for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time because it spoils quite quickly.

Let us know how you go at the vet wonā€™t you!

Most Reactions