Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I have loved lizards ever since I was a little kid. They're fascinating, and the beautifully colored ones really make me yearn to keep lizards again. I'm not even sure what the species are out there in the pet trade.

edit: wow, maybe not after reading the article! I see that a fairly sophisticated set up is in order to really keep lizards healthy long term. There needs to be a lot of attention to detail concerning getting the climate and conditions just right... temperature, humidity, different climate zones, light spectrum considerations, etc. I had no idea it was that tedious to do it "right" for these creatures. Also about the varied diet that they need to thrive long term, Crickets and mealworms only (what the pet shops would tell you is sufficient) is probably akin to feeding a bird only seeds and nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I have loved lizards ever since I was a little kid. They're fascinating, and the beautifully colored ones really make me yearn to keep lizards again. I'm not even sure what the species are out there in the pet trade.

edit: wow, maybe not after reading the article! I see that a fairly sophisticated set up is in order to really keep lizards healthy long term. There needs to be a lot of attention to detail concerning getting the climate and conditions just right... temperature, humidity, different climate zones, light spectrum considerations, etc. I had no idea it was that tedious to do it "right" for these creatures. Also about the varied diet that they need to thrive long term, Crickets and mealworms only (what the pet shops would tell you is sufficient) is probably akin to feeding a bird only seeds and nothing else.

Thanks for your interest and thoughtful comment...nice to see you are thinking ahead (many owners do not!); all do require quite a bit of care...supplies and knowledge is available, but it does take time. Let me know if you decide to keep any and need more info. You can get an idea of the huge array of species available by clicking on the lizard link here: kingsnake.com classified ads - reptile and amphibians, snakes, lizards, turtles, tortoises and more enjoy, Frank

dudemom

Aug 3, 2014
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Kiwi, 7 year old Orange wing Amazon
I love my Herps! I have an old Bearded Dragon named 'Astronaut Mike Dexter' ( 30 Rock reference) and three ball pythons. I also have two 75 year old+ California Desert Tortoises whose care I am entrusted with my the State of California.
The Bearded Dragon and the Amazon share some of the same greens on a daily basis.
Love them all!

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Thanks...several ball pythons have lived into their 40's, 1 at Philly Zoo reached 50+...between they, the tortoises and your Amazon you should be kept busy for quite some time! enjoy, Frank

Most Reactions