new member looking for tips.

Tojo95

Jan 31, 2024
sweden
Parrots
Blue/yellow macaw
Hello everyone.

I'm a new member on the site, looking for tips and advice from more experienced owners. Iā€™m an owner of a B&G macaw that is 6 years old, heā€™s name is Hugo. He came home for about 2 and half weeks ago, in this time we have bonded well, Iā€™ve spent at least 8 hours a day with him.
Before Hugo came to me he has lived in a pet shop for heā€™s whole life, or at least most of the time I think. When I bought him the pet shop owner told me that he was born in Danmark, and after a while moved to Gotland in Sweden before he came to BorĆ„s where I bought him and is now a resident in my apartment. I have set up so he got a room, a small room thatā€™s about 5 m2 and 240 cm in hights , since Iā€™m a student now, I have a table and a chair in the room so I can sit with him while I study, this have been a good thing I think, and helped us bond. Now for the question that I struggle with, its not really about the bird Iā€™ll guess but how to improve as an owner.

Itā€™s the step-up training, I mean he steps up even though he is nervus and a bit scared. Heā€™s never been handheld before so heā€™s a very good boy.

But how as an owner do I take this to the next step, how can I make him more comfortable with this. When he steps up, heā€™s in a rush down again, and god forbid that I move while he stands on my hand. I have watched countless videos on youtube, but it seems like there is always a very tame calm bird doing the trick, never a unexperienced one.

My goal with him is just so he can leave the room so he can be with me in the apartment, I donā€™t like that heā€™s sitting in the ā€˜ā€™cageā€™ā€™ all time. I think he will be happier if he came out and got to fly a bit. I know itā€™s a marathon not a race with parrots, but since I never owned one before Iā€™m a bit out of my league here.

Iā€™m thankful for any advice I can get!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The thing to remember with all parrots - proceed at their pace and not the pace of your expectations. And they change S-L-O-W

OP
T

Tojo95

Jan 31, 2024
sweden
Parrots
Blue/yellow macaw
The thing to remember with all parrots - proceed at their pace and not the pace of your expectations. And they change S-L-O-W
Yea i understand that, and we are moveing at heā€™s pace, i dont force him to do anything.
Iā€™m just wondering what the next step is?

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Just keep bonding, making friends, get him to trust you...

Move further and further away from cage.

Teach him that being with you & where you take him is more fun than the cage.

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Hello everyone.

I'm a new member on the site, looking for tips and advice from more experienced owners. Iā€™m an owner of a B&G macaw that is 6 years old, heā€™s name is Hugo. He came home for about 2 and half weeks ago, in this time we have bonded well, Iā€™ve spent at least 8 hours a day with him.
Before Hugo came to me he has lived in a pet shop for heā€™s whole life, or at least most of the time I think. When I bought him the pet shop owner told me that he was born in Danmark, and after a while moved to Gotland in Sweden before he came to BorĆ„s where I bought him and is now a resident in my apartment. I have set up so he got a room, a small room thatā€™s about 5 m2 and 240 cm in hights , since Iā€™m a student now, I have a table and a chair in the room so I can sit with him while I study, this have been a good thing I think, and helped us bond. Now for the question that I struggle with, its not really about the bird Iā€™ll guess but how to improve as an owner.

Itā€™s the step-up training, I mean he steps up even though he is nervus and a bit scared. Heā€™s never been handheld before so heā€™s a very good boy.

But how as an owner do I take this to the next step, how can I make him more comfortable with this. When he steps up, heā€™s in a rush down again, and god forbid that I move while he stands on my hand. I have watched countless videos on youtube, but it seems like there is always a very tame calm bird doing the trick, never a unexperienced one.

My goal with him is just so he can leave the room so he can be with me in the apartment, I donā€™t like that heā€™s sitting in the ā€˜ā€™cageā€™ā€™ all time. I think he will be happier if he came out and got to fly a bit. I know itā€™s a marathon not a race with parrots, but since I never owned one before Iā€™m a bit out of my league here.

Iā€™m thankful for any advice I can get!
I am not at all an experienced bird owner, so I hope you don't mind my message, but I am an owner of a canary and canaries are well known for being difficult to tame and very fearful.

You seem like a great owner and I don't think the fault lies in you.

You can try this relaxed training I do with my canary. It is the calmest training method that will ensure your bird's comfort.

The relaxed training is repetitive and slow, which is why it works so well. You should spend one week on each step of the training. Keep the training short, 5 to 10 minutes is ideal.

Feed your bird his favorite food to reward good behavior. It is important to reward him even if he doesn't do what you want him to.

When the bird is on your hand stand completely still. Speak to the bird and reward him consistently. Repeat this every day for a week, still without moving your hand.

The next step is to very slowly move your hand back and forth. Repeat for a week.

You will increase the amount your hand moves each week, but only slightly. If you notice the bird is fearful with a new step, repeat the previous one until he is comfortable.

This is how I was able to tame my canary.

Let me know if there is any progress.

OP
T

Tojo95

Jan 31, 2024
sweden
Parrots
Blue/yellow macaw
I am not at all an experienced bird owner, so I hope you don't mind my message, but I am an owner of a canary and canaries are well known for being difficult to tame and very fearful.

You can try this relaxed training I do with my canary. It is the calmest training method that will ensure your bird's comfort.

The relaxed training is repetitive and slow, which is why it works so well. You should spend one week on each step of the training. Keep the training short, 5 to 10 minutes is ideal.

Feed your bird his favorite food to reward good behavior. It is important to reward him even if he doesn't do what you want him to.

When the bird is on your hand stand completely still. Speak to the bird and reward him consistently. Repeat this every day for a week, still without moving your hand.

The next step is to very slowly move your hand back and forth. Repeat for a week.

You will increase the amount your hand moves each week, but only slightly. If you notice the bird is fearful with a new step, repeat the previous one until he is comfortable.

You suggested the same approach in my second thread, and I started implementing it gradually and gently. It really made a difference! Over time, I noticed my bird becoming more confident and comfortable with being on my hand. I gradually increased the pace, and yesterday, he ventured out of his room for the first time. Today, heā€™s been out four times and absolutely loves it! Thank you for the advice

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
You suggested the same approach in my second thread, and I started implementing it gradually and gently. It really made a difference! Over time, I noticed my bird becoming more confident and comfortable with being on my hand. I gradually increased the pace, and yesterday, he ventured out of his room for the first time. Today, heā€™s been out four times and absolutely loves it! Thank you for the advice
Thanks for mentioning it, I didn't read your name and thought you were a different member.

It's great to hear relaxed training has worked for your bird.

sunbeam

Feb 5, 2024
Media
Parrots
Blue and Yellow Macaw
Budgies
Green cheek conures
Oh thank you for bringing up your questions! I also have a macaw and we are going on four weeks. He will not step up, but now follows me everywhere! I just talk to him and actually got a beak pet! Exciting!
This is most definitely a S-L-O-W process.
Normally, if I try to do step up, he yells at me "NO" or pecks me like a chicken....... so we keep trying.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey

I am working with a young CAG. Currently another member suggested to confine him to his cage as we (I) play chase in order to get him to go anywhere with me on my hand. I appreciate your advice! But I have a question. Can I do step up training inside his cage? I would prefer for him to be comfortable with this so that I can again allow him out (to fly/be with us).

Thanks in advance! Sorry to highjack the thread, but I'm still on topic šŸ˜

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty

I fully support this method. THanks for posting.

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
I am working with a young CAG. Currently another member suggested to confine him to his cage as we (I) play chase in order to get him to go anywhere with me on my hand. I appreciate your advice! But I have a question. Can I do step up training inside his cage? I would prefer for him to be comfortable with this so that I can again allow him out (to fly/be with us).

Thanks in advance! Sorry to highjack the thread, but I'm still on topic šŸ˜

Yes. You can do it inside the cage and then gradually get closer to taking him outside of the cage. This is actually preferred and the way I trained my canary outside the cage.

You will do relaxed training inside the cage, then when the bird is used to it and no longer reacts fearfully you will repeat the same steps outside of the cage.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
Yes. You can do it inside the cage and then gradually get closer to taking him outside of the cage. This is actually preferred and the way I trained my canary outside the cage.

You will do relaxed training inside the cage, then when the bird is used to it and no longer reacts fearfully you will repeat the same steps outside of the cage.
Thank you very much!

Most Reactions

Latest posts