Newbie Goffin too mom needing advice on plucking!

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Hi everyone! I need help we have a rescue goffin that fell into our laps. Her name is Hootie sheā€™s sweet as can be! We literally just got here I will be making a vet appointment first thing in the morning but I have no experience with plucking and I need advice. We were told she is a manā€™s bird which is clearly true but sheā€™s sweet to everyone. But she lived with a lady and was depressed and plucked which is why she rehomed her to us. She thinks she will get better once that void is filled. Hopefully it does! But what can I do to help in the mean time? We are experienced large bird owners just luckily not with plucking. We will get her to the vet they just usually have a bit of a wait.

Attachments

• 71105121223__86B037DE-4FE3-4BE7-BCDE-1392AEDD7435.jpeg
    71105121223__86B037DE-4FE3-4BE7-BCDE-1392AEDD7435.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 64

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

So glad you could welcome this lovely lady into you home!
A vet visit is a great idea, Iā€™d recommend they do a blood test to rule out any medical issues.

What was her diet like? Diet can have so much to do with a birds feather health.

Iā€™d ensure she gets 12 hours of good quiet sleep.

Also, provide her with plenty of toys to shred!

OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Welcome to the forums!

So glad you could welcome this lovely lady into you home!
A vet visit is a great idea, Iā€™d recommend they do a blood test to rule out any medical issues.

What was her diet like? Diet can have so much to do with a birds feather health.

Iā€™d ensure she gets 12 hours of good quiet sleep.

Also, provide her with plenty of toys to shred!
She is on a mixture of roudibush, Harrisonā€™s and zupreme fruit blend pelletsā€¦ she wonā€™t touch fruits or veggies. We have all the shred toys lol. We are working on the sleep routine because I believe she thinks sheā€™s a night owl. :) sheā€™s amazing we love her to pieces alreadyā€¦ but we have our work cut out for us on these feathers! Thanks for your help!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Awwwww! She's beautiful ā¤ļø I have a well known soft spot for the pluckers. It's such a complex issue. Sometimes there's a simple reason and it's fixable, sometimes even if you solve the cause, it's become such a habit that they continue anyway, or have caused so much follicle damage that they don't grow back at all. I hope you can help that sweet girlie with it, but either way, it sounds like she's found a wonderful loving forever home with you. You're her hero! :)

OP
R

Robbielou

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Awwwww! She's beautiful ā¤ļø I have a well known soft spot for the pluckers. It's such a complex issue. Sometimes there's a simple reason and it's fixable, sometimes even if you solve the cause, it's become such a habit that they continue anyway, or have caused so much follicle damage that they don't grow back at all. I hope you can help that sweet girlie with it, but either way, it sounds like she's found a wonderful loving forever home with you. You're her hero! :)
Thanks the girl that we got her from said she started to grow back but she could tell that she really needed the male companion which is how we ended up with her she definitely loves my husband from the second she saw him! So Iā€™m really hoping thatā€™s all she needed but I think we need something to help get her on the mend sheā€™s bald On her little chest šŸ„¹

Most Reactions

Latest posts