OMG!!!! 'Nut got loose!!! Prevue should be sued!!!!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
I bet he could hear you and took it as a contact call which kept him from zooming off

Clearly Nut is closely bonded to you in his own special way

The young guy who came to help me said he heard my screams LOL :)

... but seriously if it wasn't for him I couldn't have gotten 'Nut out of that tree by myself. I still cannot believe all this happened. I am truly very very very lucky!!!! ... and learned a BIG lesson about travel cages that is for sure.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yep. Sometimes we need to learn the hard way. Of course you got lucky here

when it comes to cages I prefer to spend that bit more. why I spent over £100 on Rio's old cage instead of just getting a £30 cage from the local pet shop and why I'm gonna splurge on a Paco for when I get a new bird.

Not sure if you've been around recently what with that whole... 'apocalypse-like battering florida is takng' but I found me a bird to get. Between november and february depending on parent laying hatching weaning ETC

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
How frightening! I'm glad for the happy ending.

I like the plastic dog crates for emergency parrot transport. They take some modifying...padding and paper over towels for the bottom, a perch, a way to attach food and water cups..but they are sturdy, lightweight, and strong. You have to get the right size, and be sure they can't fit through the openings in the side. They won't come apart in use, you can lock the door shut, they can handle something being accidentally stacked on top, they are closed in a bit so the bird feels safer. Not expensive either. I bought Gus's from chewy.com and they worked with me to pick the right size and features, and were cheaper than anybody else.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

I like the plastic dog crates for emergency parrot transport. They take some modifying...padding and paper over towels for the bottom, a perch, a way to attach food and water cups..but they are sturdy, lightweight, and strong. You have to get the right size, and be sure they can't fit through the openings in the side. They won't come apart in use, you can lock the door shut, they can handle something being accidentally stacked on top, they are closed in a bit so the bird feels safer. Not expensive either. I bought Gus's from chewy.com and they worked with me to pick the right size and features, and were cheaper than anybody else.

That's a great idea about the crate thanks for the link!... I was thinking of looking for a tiny dog crate then modify it so that I can put a perch in there so they aren't constantly stepping in their poop :D

I keep running what happened yesterday over and over again in my mind LOL Still cannot believe I managed to get 'Nut back!! You should have seen how fast I snatched ahold of him in that tree LOL
I knew I only had ONE shot to get ahold of him so I grabbed him real fast like a snake catching their prey... I slowly reached for him until I was close enough to feel comfortable that I would be faster than he is... then whaaaaam!! I caught him at lightning speed :46: :D I kept such a firm grip on him with two hands as I walked back to my condo I nearly squashed him LOL

Last edited:

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw

Glad you got him back and someone was willing to help !!

Agree completely on the plastic dog / cat crates. A few simple modifications can turn it into a really nice carrier or emergency shelter and are mush less likely to spring open.

We had to get something that is much larger for Arika our B&G, plus we needed the wire framed sides because Macaws can go through a plastic cage very easily. We even made the top handle a perch for her so she cam be comfortable while in the Vet exam room. There are plenty of designs available.

Try to find one that does not have a top that comes off because you may find yourself in the same situation with an escaped toddler :)
Good luck.
We plan on doing a more detailed thread on her carry cage and will post it in the Cages forum as soon as we can.

Thanks
Kelly Karl and Arika

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

Glad you got him back and someone was willing to help !!

Agree completely on the plastic dog / cat crates. A few simple modifications can turn it into a really nice carrier or emergency shelter and are mush less likely to spring open.

We had to get something that is much larger for Arika our B&G, plus we needed the wire framed sides because Macaws can go through a plastic cage very easily. We even made the top handle a perch for her so she cam be comfortable while in the Vet exam room. There are plenty of designs available.

Try to find one that does not have a top that comes off because you may find yourself in the same situation with an escaped toddler :)
Good luck.
We plan on doing a more detailed thread on her carry cage and will post it in the Cages forum as soon as we can.

Thanks
Kelly Karl and Arika

Thanks! OMG I would seriously FLIP OUT if the top of the crate came apart!! :eek:

... but you better believe the next travel carrier I get is going to be indestructible. Every inch of it is going to be secured 100%. This whole thing could have been prevented if I wasn't an IDIOT and had secured the top part of the cage with 4 zip ties but I was so focused on securing the bottom tray it never even crossed my mind that the top part of the cage would bust open :eek:

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I read through and I'm very happy everything went well, I was just wondering why are the bars orange? Do they paint the bars? does it flake off? A lot of cages are kind of put together yourself units that come in a box and aren't expected to be used in an evacuation mine might fall apart if i hit it hard but......I think the company was looking for pretty over safety. I dunno but the orange bars...as soon as I saw them I was like wait what?

The cage bars are orange but it doesn't seem to chip or peel off... I don't know but either way this piece of junk that nearly killed 'Nut is going back for a refund!!!! ;)

The nearly $400 large cage from Prevue I have is white in color... https://www.wayfair.com/Prevue-Hendr...e-PVP1051.html

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Don't beat yourself up. The important thing is that you got him back and that we can learn from our mistakes. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good carry cage. Sometimes it may require a few simple modifications that almost anyone can do.

When we evaluate something that may come in contact with Arika, we put on our slight paranoia hats and try to look at all the "what if" possibilities. You don't need to go overboard, just adjust your point of view slightly and it may help you see some potential problems.
- Does this fit together properly? I'll put some tie wraps on it to make sure it holds.
- This looks like he could get a toe caught in here. Lets close that hole up.
- These small pieces break off too easy, I'll remove them ahead of time.
- This is sharp, lets use a small nail file to soften the edges.
- Look at it from the inside out.... the bird's point of view so to speak.
- And so on...

We had our own issues with a large SS cage. We were lucky that we caught the sharp edges and were able to fix them before Arika as introduced to her new home.
See our post under Cages forum and SS cage with sharp edges.

We hope this helps and please ask if you have any doubts about something you are about to purchase. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here with a lot of experience willing to help.

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Don't beat yourself up. The important thing is that you got him back and that we can learn from our mistakes. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good carry cage. Sometimes it may require a few simple modifications that almost anyone can do.

When we evaluate something that may come in contact with Arika, we put on our slight paranoia hats and try to look at all the "what if" possibilities. You don't need to go overboard, just adjust your point of view slightly and it may help you see some potential problems.
- Does this fit together properly? I'll put some tie wraps on it to make sure it holds.
- This looks like he could get a toe caught in here. Lets close that hole up.
- These small pieces break off too easy, I'll remove them ahead of time.
- This is sharp, lets use a small nail file to soften the edges.
- Look at it from the inside out.... the bird's point of view so to speak.
- And so on...

We had our own issues with a large SS cage. We were lucky that we caught the sharp edges and were able to fix them before Arika as introduced to her new home.
See our post under Cages forum and SS cage with sharp edges.

We hope this helps and please ask if you have any doubts about something you are about to purchase. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here with a lot of experience willing to help.

Thanks
Kelly, Karl, and Arika

Thanks! Yes I know what you mean about sharp edges. The $400 large Prevue cage I bought had many super sharp razor edges :eek:

I used my nail file to buffer them smooth :)

I will start a thread about the travel cage I'll be trying to get soon... :51:

Most Reactions

Latest posts