Opinion of cage

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
My cockatoo spends all of her time working the front door and food doors-- not sure about how loose the ceiling latch is there, but mine is rather difficult to undo (even for me). Back it up with a stainless something (like Scott said) and that will be safer if you are worried).

I DO think this will be a better cage in terms of shape etc and I think the tield will appreciate and use the tower in the other one ;)

OP
T

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
I am planning on wiring the top of the cage closed with stainless steel wire. I have heard of industrious birds getting their heads through the tops and getting stuck because it is locked and ending up dead. If it is wired down that potential risk is removed.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
After Noodles deconstructed her food doors from the inside and figured out how to move the swing-latch with a stick, this is what I rigged--all stainless as well:
noodles123-albums-locksmith-noodles-picture22506-lock-2-technically-there-3-locks-here-one-food-door-there-were-4-but-she-broke-1.jpg

also---for the front door (which she somehow broke, amazingly)--it's a U-bolt OR "BOW SHACKLE" for hauling boats --or "screw-pin anchor"-necessity is the mother of invention LOL!!
noodles123-albums-locksmith-noodles-picture22505-lock-1-what-i-have-use-since-she-broke-2-locks-main-door.jpg

PROOF (of her handiwork--see how the little metal part and spring are totally gone???):
noodles123-albums-locksmith-noodles-picture22507-lock-3-main-door-she-managed-totally-destroy-using-tools-she-made-lol-you-can-see-there-no-bar-lock-because-she-removed-spring-latch.jpg

She has never messed with the top, but maybe these will give you some ideas?
Here is the exact link to that shackle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DKDZLZ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

here is a link for the "cable key rings"---you can attach more than one to get them longer if needed and then pull them down with another looped set for added tension:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZ6EW2U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 <--they don't look like much, but I'm pretty sure they could pull a car lol---braided layers of stainless. I put the screw part on the outside and even when she tries to mess with them, it requires too many rotations for her to continue wasting the effort. Be aware though, the ends CAN come off if they are totally unscrewed and (in theory) I guess that COULD be a choking hazard, although I doubt a Too would actually get one undone, let alone swallow it.

Last edited:

MikeD91

Oct 10, 2018
Media
Conneaut Lake, Pa
Parrots
Bill, Yellow Naped
Amazon.
Banker, Muloccan Cockattoo
It's a bit sideways, but at least I figured out how to do it! Thanks for the compliment, she is pretty cute!

Most Reactions

Latest posts